Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where was gtx3 uncle Thomas COE between 1871 and 1911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was gtx3 uncle Thomas COE between 1871 and 1911?

Can anyone help me find where Thomas COE went after the 1871 census?

Here's what I know
    Thomas was born in 1840 in Cheveley, Cambridgeshire and baptised there on 6 Dec 1840.
    He moved to West Ham and was lodging there and working as a labourer at a ship builders in 1861.
    He married Sarah Ann KNIGHT Q3 1865 in West Ham. Sarah was born in Billinghay, Lincolnshire.
    In 1871 Thomas was a dock labourer and he and Sarah were living in West Ham. RG10/1631 folio 39 page 77 "Mother" Martha Addison was in the household (also born Billinghay so I presume she was Sarah's mother and had remarried. I think I have found Sarah living with grandparents when aged 4 and an uncle when she was 14)
    Thomas COE and Sarah had 2 daughters, Sarah born 1868/7 and Emma born 1871/2.

Thomas' wife Sarah died in Q3 1876 in Sleaford district, Lincolnshire. Both their daughters were in Lincolnshire in 1881 - Sarah in the union workhouse in New Sleaford, and Emma with aunt Ann Harness at the Wheatsheaf Inn, North Kyme.

I haven't found Thomas COE in 1881 or subsequent censuses until he turns up in 1911 living with his daughter Emma and her husband William WELLS in North Kyme Lane, Billinghay, Lincolnshire. RG14PN19605 RG78PN1177 RD416 SD1 ED2 SN15

Any ideas where he was between the 1871 and 1911censuses please?
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Is this him in 1881?

1881 Census
    GEE, Thomas
    WEST HAM, Essex
    RG11 piece 1714 folio 137 page 92

FMP transcribed him as GEE.

He's a dock labourer, aged 43, a widower, born Cheveley, Cambs.

69, Victoria Dk Rd, West Ham

The original looks like "Gee" but he's with lots of other men and I reckon the enumerator was given a list of names and perhaps copied it wrong or couldn't read the writing properly.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

You beat me to it Elizabeth! I was just posting exactly that ;).
      I agree the original does look like Gee, but how many dock labourers named Thomas who were born in Cheveley can there be?
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

How about this for 1891? It's the only one I have found so far.

1891 Census
        COX, Thomas
        WEST HAM, Essex
        RG12 piece 1319 folio 97 page 45

11 13 & 15, Fulton Street, Canning Town, West Ham

again a lodger and dock worker, born Cambridgeshire (no place given).

His name is written as Cox this time, and not Coe.

There is a George Cox there too, from Cambs. Did he have a brother??
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Oh thanks so much folks. That certainly looks like him. Sorry I didn't return to the thread sooner. Brother arrived with an offer of a lift to the shops - much preferable to a cycle ride in the rain. Now armed with the above info and a supply of snacks I shall spend the day working on my tree.

No brother George Elizabeth, but possibly a cousin. The COE family were quite prolific and several ended up working in the docks.
          Last edited by JudithM; 22-10-12, 11:29.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
          X