Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PARR, Martha 1805-1883

Hello again.

You where all so very helpful in getting my head back together over the GASSER problem that i can think straight again.

I need you help again. This was one of the first walls I hit when i started researching the family tree for my Grandma that i eventually figured i can't get past it.
    Cant even find the marriage on ancestry.co.uk

Martha Parr marries Richard Pilkington (1805-1888) in 1830

Marriage: 19 Apr 1830 St Wilfrid, Farnworth near Prescot, Lancashire, England
    Richard Pilkington - (X), Farmer of this parish
    Martha Parr - (X), Spinster of this parish
    Witness: Thomas Hogg; James Southern
    Married by Banns by: Wm Thompson - minister
    Register: Marriages 1824 - 1832, Page 135, Entry 403
    Source: LDS Film 1699235 item 6
    (http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html)

I have found many trees on Ancestry for Martha marrying Richard that trace right back through to kings of Scotland and Catherine Parr (King Henrys Wife) but no give a source for each step, just names and some dates. I would love it to be true but i can't just add it cause i would like it.

This link takes you to a public tree that is similar to mine at this point, only mine has no parents to Martha & Richard.

not everything is online yet, though in general, what is on the lancsopc site is what ancestry has for their lancashire collection. maybe the marriage is mistranscribed there. i assume you have richard and martha on the census, what do they say for birthplace, and have you found any christenings in those places? did either leave a will? the indexes for those are on ancestry too.

Comment

Originally posted by JM_Wigan View Post
      Hello again.

You where all so very helpful in getting my head back together over the GASSER problem that i can think straight again.

I need you help again. This was one of the first walls I hit when i started researching the family tree for my Grandma that i eventually figured i can't get past it.
      Cant even find the marriage on ancestry.co.uk

Martha Parr marries Richard Pilkington (1805-1888) in 1830

Marriage: 19 Apr 1830 St Wilfrid, Farnworth near Prescot, Lancashire, England
      Richard Pilkington - (X), Farmer of this parish
      Martha Parr - (X), Spinster of this parish
      Witness: Thomas Hogg; James Southern
      Married by Banns by: Wm Thompson - minister
      Register: Marriages 1824 - 1832, Page 135, Entry 403
      Source: LDS Film 1699235 item 6
      (http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html)

I have found many trees on Ancestry for Martha marrying Richard that trace right back through to kings of Scotland and Catherine Parr (King Henrys Wife) but no give a source for each step, just names and some dates. I would love it to be true but i can't just add it cause i would like it.

This link takes you to a public tree that is similar to mine at this point, only mine has no parents to Martha & Richard.
      Have you contacted the tree owner to see if they have something that shows Martha as the daughter of John and Ellen? They may have something they have not noted on the public tree such as a baptism record for Martha.

Margaret

Comment

There are many who have the tree & I have contacted many to say I can't see how they got to the people they have reached and all admitted they just took the info off another's tree and took it as correct.

This is one I really want to get past.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          not everything is online yet, though in general, what is on the lancsopc site is what ancestry has for their lancashire collection. maybe the marriage is mistranscribed there. i assume you have richard and martha on the census, what do they say for birthplace, and have you found any christenings in those places? did either leave a will? the indexes for those are on ancestry too.
          Arg why didn't i try that. Done it a thousand times for many other relatives, just passed me by with these two.

I am making a little head way on Richard Pilkington. Looked up baptisms in Aughton, Lancashire where he was born and found one. This gave me his parents. I then searched for baptisms with just this area and parents and found lots of brothers & sisters.

Still having problems with Martha. She was born in St Helens, Lancashire.

I have census records for 1851, (both same age) 1861 (martha older) and 1881. (richard older) Can't find one for 1871, not sure why. I did notice though in the 1871 census Richards birth says St Helens, no Aughton. (They are a number of miles apart)

I wonder if my 1881 census isnt correct. Will dig a little more. Richard becomes older in 1881 yet in other census he has been younger than Martha.

1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid

1861 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid

1881 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid

Comment

Family search has Martha Parr born 6 Mar 1805 and baptised 17 Mar 1805 at St Helens.

Father Jno (John) and no mothers name.

Could that be her?
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

If that bap is right here are her siblings

name, birth, bap
              Betty, 14th Sep 1806, 5 Oct 1806
              Peter, 2 Aug 1804, 26 Aug 1804.
              Thomas, 20th Jun 1802, 11 July 1802.

All St Helens
              Lin

Comment

Forgot to say can't find a marriage in St Helens and don't know the area well enough to make a decision about any other marriage.
                Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                  Forgot to say can't find a marriage in St Helens and don't know the area well enough to make a decision about any other marriage.
                  Thanks Lin, the info you have provided is useful. I have a marriage for Martha and Richard (1st post above) but no parent listed on that one.

I did suspect John as her father and possibly Ellen as her mother but you also finding he same helps. I didn't have the baptisms.

If John is her father all i ned to do is find his parents. Others are saying Henry.

Thanks.

Comment

Just posted but the computer kicked me off so will try again.

I don't have ancestry sub at the moment but can you find John or Ellen or any of the children in 1841 with ages etc. Otherwise we don't know where they married or defintely who they married.
                    Lin

Comment

There is a baptism for John Parr in St Helens 1766 parents William and Martha.

Forgot to make a note of the date sorry but with calling the daughter Martha it sounds a bit promising. You really need more info though.

Have any of these people made a will at all.

Running out of ideas now!!
                      Lin

Comment

I know, its a hard one this.

Find quite a few John Parrs on census but nothing i can be sure of. Looks like all his children have left home.

Might start work on the ones you gave me baptisms for, never know, might get lucky and find a father or mother living with them.

I have searched wills, again, nothing to really work with yet. Slow process. Going through loads.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X