Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone please read a Census for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone please read a Census for me.

I have a very bad copy of a census 1841, I don't know if there are better copies from another source, but I just want the one family deciphered of an Alexander Grieve (he's from Renfrewshire but I dont know which town.

image removed - copyright

I'd like the whole entry deciphered if possible - he's at the bottom of the 4th group. I'd like to know particularly what relation he was - it doesn't look like he's a boarder. He seems to be a widower aged 78.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 21-10-12, 10:13. Reason: image removed because of copyright
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Sorry Jood, have had to remove your image because of copyright implications.
    If you can give the details of the person/group you require and the census reference then people should be able to find the image on Ancestry, or you could forward it via PM.
    Elaine

Comment

By the way, you said the image is from 1841 census - looked more like the format of an 1851 or later census?
      Elaine

Comment

Sorry - it IS 1851 Elaine, originally I thought I was trying to read the 1841 census which I do have - then realised it should be 1851.

All I can read of the heading is 30/3/1851 Grieve Alexander (Census 1851 573/00 023/00 015) - not sure if thats any help but its High Church, Paisley.

I think its the group no. 43 - I cant read the first person's name, but Alexander Grieve, widower 78 is the last person in that section.

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
          Sorry - it IS 1851 Elaine, originally I thought I was trying to read the 1841 census which I do have - then realised it should be 1851.

All I can read of the heading is 30/3/1851 Grieve Alexander (Census 1851 573/00 023/00 015) - not sure if thats any help but its High Church, Paisley.

I think its the group no. 43 - I cant read the first person's name, but Alexander Grieve, widower 78 is the last person in that section.
          Can you copy and paste the address of the page you are looking at from the address bar at the top of the screen as I can't find the image from what you have given.

Margaret

Comment

I've just realised it's scotlandspeople you are looking at and that is a pay per view site - unfortunately I don't have any credits to help :(

Margaret

Comment

Oh sorry Margaret- I forgot about that :( I would not expect you to use your credits. I honestly forgot it was scottish!!!
              Last edited by jood; 21-10-12, 11:09.

Comment

Ancestry doesn't have the image, but the record gives place of birth as Port Glasgow, Renfrew.
                He was lodging at 26 Canal Street, with Wm Cherry and family, occupation pauper, formerly weaver.

Alexander is transcribed as Alexander Gornoe.
                AUDREY

Comment

Hi Elaine, I can't get that link to work.
                  herky
                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

PM sent Herky.
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                      Oh sorry Margaret- I forgot about that :( I would not expect you to use your credits. I honestly forgot it was scottish!!!
                      I didn't realise either until I couldn't find it from the name alone and then went to add in the location!

I usually have some credits but at the moment have used them all up but I don't mind using them to help others.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        PM sent Herky.
                        Thanks Elaine.
                        herky
                        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thank you Nik's mum

Comment

Working...
                          X