Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the mother?

Hi all,

Could someone find out what the correct name is for the mother of Matilda Barry born 1883 St George in the East (married Daniel O'Shea in Whitechapel 1904).

According to the 1911 census Daniel and Matilda are living with their two kids in Whitechapel, the first name on the census return is Martha Barry listed as a housekeeper aged 59 a widow born Whitechapel. I presume this is Matilda's mother.

Going back 10 years to 1901 Matilda is living with her mum and dad in Whitechapel. Father John Barry (born Ireland abt 1848) but mother is listed as Matilda not Martha.

I don't have the 1891 census to see if the mother is listed as Martha or Matilda.

I can find possible marriages, one for Martha and one for Matilda, to a John Barry around the right time.

On FreeBMD John Barry is listed in Dec Qtr 1871 St George in the East to have married Martha Singfield (or Mary Regan). The other possible marriage for John Barry is listed Dec Qtr 1877 St George in the East to a Matilda Owens.

On the information that i have i'm thinking it might be the latter in 1877 which is the correct one.

I can't prove either is correct. I have tried to find a possible birth for her mother being born in Whitechapel (or close by) around 1853...but found nothing.

Maybe i am missing something completely, i don't know.

Thanks

Craig

Mother's Matilda in 1891. They're mistranscribed as Bany on Ancestry.

John Barry, head, 41, general labourer, born Ireland
    Matilda Barry, wife, 38, born Whitechapel
    Richard Barry, son, 10, born St. George E.
    Matilda Barry, daughter, 8, born St. George E.

Living at 10 Green Dragon Yard, Whitechapel.

Comment

1881:

John Barry, head, 35, general labourer, born Ireland
      Matilda Barry, wife, 28, born London
      Richard Barry, son, 8 months, born St. Geo East
      Mary Barry, mother, widow, 60, born Ireland

Living in Sander Street, St. George in the East. The people on either side of them are at nos. 6 and 8, but their house number isn't given.

Comment

1871:

Mary Barry, head, widow, 50, born Cork, Ireland
        David Barry, son, unmarried, 28, labourer, born Cork, Ireland
        John Barry, son, unmarried, 26, labourer, born Cork, Ireland
        Patrick Barry, son, unmarried, 24, labourer, born Cork, Ireland
        Ellen Barry, daughter, unmarried, 18, waistcoat maker, born Stepney, Middlesex

Living at 11 Sander Street, St. George in the East.

Comment

1861:

Edward Barry, head, 55, bricklayer's labourer, born Cork, Ireland
          Mary Barry, wife, 45, born Cork, Ireland
          David Barry, son, unmarried, 20, bricklayer's labourer, born Cork, Ireland
          John Barry, son, unmarried, 18, costermonger, born Cork, Ireland
          Patrick Barry, son, unmarried, 15, costermonger, born Cork, Ireland
          Ellen Barry, daughter, unmarried, 8, scholar, born Stepney, Middlesex

Living at 7 Charles Street, St. George in the East.

I've been looking for Matilda Owens, but I can't find her on the censuses. I wonder if she was previously married?

I can't find any of the marriages or baptisms in the LMA records on Ancestry.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-10-12, 00:30.

Comment

of cousre the birth certificate should prove it 100%.

Comment

The John/Matilda marriage cert should indicate her marital status and also would, hopefully, give the name of the bride's father.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Mary in Italy, wow thank you for the all the info from those census returns. That's very helpful. .
                Craig

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  of cousre the birth certificate should prove it 100%.
                  Hi Kylejustin. Yes that would be helpful but i wanted to see if i could get some information before i send off for the birth certificate of Matilda (born 1883).

I did have a nose at familysearch.com to see if there might be a bapt for her which might have given me her mother's first name but i couldn't find it.

I'll probably have to get a copy of the birth certificate to further the case.
                  Last edited by cpdavis35; 20-10-12, 11:25.
                  Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                    The John/Matilda marriage cert should indicate her marital status and also would, hopefully, give the name of the bride's father.

Jay
                    Hi Janet in Yorkshire. Yes, very true. But i don't know when a marriage happened between John and Matilda/Martha happened. This would give me the clue who is the mother of Matilda (born 1883).
                    Craig

Comment

With Matilda (born 1883) it seems is the first female born to her parents, perhaps then her mother was named Matilda and not Martha. The 1911 census shows that Martha Barry is listed first and is a housekeeper... maybe she's not Matilda's mother but a relative?

Unless a marriage pops up i guess this will go no further unless get the birth certificate of Matilda born 1883.
                      Craig

Comment

I think the Matilda Owens marriage is the most likely, bearing in mind that the mother's called Matilda on the earlier censuses, but you certainly need Matilda junior's birth cert before going any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                          I think the Matilda Owens marriage is the most likely, bearing in mind that the mother's called Matilda on the earlier censuses, but you certainly need Matilda junior's birth cert before going any further.
                          That's what i had down originally, Matilda Owens, who married John Barry in 1877. (1911 Martha a mystery for now). I'll send off for the Matilda Barry (born 1883) birth cert. When i receive it... i'll confirm who the mother is.
                          Last edited by cpdavis35; 21-10-12, 08:44.
                          Craig

Comment

Working...
                          X