Edward Lennon Jr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Lennon Jr

This might sound completely stupid but would Edward Lennon have still been alive and active for duty for WW1 if he was born in 1867? With it being a Scottish birth it's so difficult to track a death for him. Thanks to Herky I have a marraige for him and the birth of his eldest child Mary and a possible family tree for him through Mundia but I'm having difficulty finding a death for him and the last possible Census that I have for him is 1901.

The reason that I'm asking about WW1 is because I'm doing a search of National Archives and I found this names for the Scottish Rifles, there's no age or anything unless I access the document but I was wondering if it was worth checking it out if it's not him..
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

You wont get the 1911 census on Ancestry/FMP etc but there is an Edward Lennon in Bellshill, aged 45 on Scotlands People 1911 census.
    Perhaps the correct one as the age is pretty close???
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

There is also an Edward Lennon's death in Bellshill in 1935, aged 69.
      Nor sure how many Edward L's were in that area but I have a feeling not many so could possibly be your man.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Maybe, I shall have a look at Scotlands People, think I need to invest in an account on there.. I guess that would also explain why I couldn't find Mary in a 1911 census. Cheers Herky- Oh that paperwork arrived today :D

Comment

Unless he was a regular soldier then I would have thought it unlikely that he would have enlisted at the age of 47 for WW1 service.
          If the document you have found on the National Archives is a Medal Rolls Index Card, then this is also available on Ancestry and tells you not a lot more than his name, the regiment, Scottish Rifles and regimental number - 36793.
          Elaine

Comment

I expect the Scots 1911 census will eventually get to Ancestry etc but it may take some time.
            I must admit that it would make life easier and cheaper if the transcriptions were available on Ancestry etc, like the other censuses.
            herky

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I suppose it will eventually be on Ancestry Herky. I know that the Lennon's seem to be a Mining family and I've found a history of Scottish Mining, the site also has a memorial of those that died within WW1. There's 2 Lennon's on there and going back to mining there's a very interesting incident involving a 17 year old James Lennon.

History of Scottish Mining and mining areas of Scotland including housing, health, mining accidents and disasters.

Comment

What would be the best credit option if I wish to look at Edward and then his daughter Mary on Scotlands People? 30 for £7 or 60 for £14? It shouldn't take that much if I only want to look at the 1911 census and deaths should it?

Comment

It will be 1 credit for each of the index pages and 5 credits to view the cert/census - so 12 credits for the 1911 census and the death cert.
                  That leaves, if you get 30 credits - 18 credits and that could get you another 3 certs if you are very careful and know exactly what you are looking for.
                  Luckily the name Lennon is not too common but there are a few in Lanarkshire.
                  However - Bellshill, as an example, has only 45 Lennon deaths from 1855 to 2011 - pretty good. bet your glad it isn't Smith!
                  herky

Comment

Aye but when I tried to do the Visa I was taken to the NatWest confirmation page, I don't technically have the password thingy..

Comment

your password for the confirmation page is the same one you would use for logging on to your bank accounts online.

for example if you were bank of england, and you password was scotland, then you would put in scotland for the password on the visa confirmation page.

Comment

When I get taken to the "confirmation page" the password is NOT my banking one but a separate password I set up with the card company specifically for dealing with these "confirmation pages".

I think you can easily do this but have to do it through the card provider.

Anne

Comment

I don't do online banking, I'll get it done eventually, thanks for the tips guys..

Comment

I agree with Anne, it is a special password you use to authorise a payment made by that debit or credit card.

I don't "do" online banking either, but I found that if I wanted to pay for things online, using my debit card, then I had to set up a password for that card, on the "bank" site that I was taken to. When I'm about to make a payment, I get taken to the "bank" authorisation screen and am asked to insert perhaps 1st 5th & 7th character of the password (another time it will ask for different 3 characters). Only by completing these can the transaction take place.

More and more sites take you through this system - my bank assured me it was perfectly safe, it was for customer protection and that as more and more companies were involved in the scheme, perhaps I should worry about giving my card details on a site where I wasn't taken through this process!

One option is to consider setting up a separate account which you access for internet purchases and have only a small amount of money in it, which you keep topping up before you buy.
                            (I'm pleased I did this as the card for my main account has been "blocked" due to me forgetting my PIN number. I needed cash today so was able to use an ATM to draw out from the "other" account, until I can get to the bank to get my card sorted.)

Jay
                            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-10-12, 15:20.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

HI,just looked on familysearch .org and the name lennon is spelled lennan ? and the son edward was born 18th nov 1865 "at" stevenston ayr and john 30th apr 1868 "at" stevenston,patrick was born 6th july1870 also "at" stevenston,hugh 16th dec 1872 also "at" stevenston ayr. and if you didn't know their also was a girl ROSANNA 22nd jan 1864 stevenston. they where married "at" 6th nov 1863 ardrossan ayr. hope this was some help.
                              Some help from a member of Lanarkshire Family History Society Website. The only thing I didn't know was Rosanna but what I've found is that most Lennon's seem to be born within January, anyone else have a family that seems to favour one month more than the other? Most of the deaths for most of my other relatives seem to be in December.

Comment

Working...
                              X