WORLD WAR 1 records.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WORLD WAR 1 records.

Hi, I'm try to find any war records or paperwork for Lieutenant Edwin Gordon White born in Swindon in 1892 and who was killed in action in Italy on May 7 1918, whilst acting Captain of the 8th Battalion of the Devonshire Regiment. Can anyone help.

Nick.
    Last edited by snowyred; 18-10-12, 00:24.

You will find his medal card on Ancestry - he was previously a 2nd Lt. in the Wiltshire regiment - will look for more.
    His probate says he was"acting Captain" on his death
    Last edited by herky; 18-10-12, 06:44.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

There is a site called "Forces War Records" and he is listed there - I am not registered for the site but have a look there, if you haven't already, perhaps you might get more detail.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Often the records of people who were killed are no longer available. The National Archives might have something since he was an officer.
        Margaret

Comment

Looks like his service records are available at The National Archives, but not for download ...ref WO 339/360
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
            There is a site called "Forces War Records" and he is listed there - I am not registered for the site but have a look there, if you haven't already, perhaps you might get more detail.
            I have yet to hear of anyone finding records on the "Forces War Records" site which are not available on either Ancestry, Findmypast or TNA, or indeed on free sites such as the CWGC. It may be that the link Herky has found would just give the medal card which is on Ancestry, or provide a link to the documents on TNA.

If anyone has used the site successfully I would be interested to know what you found. I have been tempted at times but don't want to waste my money!
            Elaine

Comment

You may want to post your query on the Great War Forum

I don't know whether the War Diaries for units he served in are available but if they are, he may be mentioned. The War Diaries I've seen often mention officers by name (when they arrived/left, what they did, whether and how they were injured or killed etc) although privates were usually not named and were classed as OR (other ranks)

As far as I can make out he was awarded the Military Cross, presumably posthumously. There is a notice in The London Gazette here

(bottom RHS and then on the next page)
              Jackie

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the Forces War Records site. It seems as though they promise a lot but don't have anything not available elsewhere.

The ref Anthony has given seems to be right although only Wiltshire Regiment is mentioned in the Index, so you can go to Kew, employ a researcher or ask for a price from Kew for copies.
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Other entries on the London Gazette:

Appointed 2nd Lieutenant 10th November 1915 with the Derbyshire Yeomanry.

This also looks like him.
                  3 March 1917 transferred from the Yeomanry, to be 2nd Lt., and to be seconded for duty with Regular A.S.C. (M.T.). (Army Service Corps)

And on the British Newspaper Archive - you need to buy the article in case the article summary has been moved around.
                  Sat 23 Mar 1918,
                  Lieutenant E. G. White, Wilts ; Regiment, has been transferred to a Service Battalion of the Devon Regiment
                  Your search results for "e g white" "military cross": 4 newspaper articles contained information about "e g white" "military cross" filtered by: Date from: 1st Jan 1910 - Date to: 31st Dec 1919
                  Last edited by keldon; 18-10-12, 17:32.
                  Phil
                  historyhouse.co.uk
                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    I have yet to hear of anyone finding records on the "Forces War Records" site which are not available on either Ancestry, Findmypast or TNA, or indeed on free sites such as the CWGC. It may be that the link Herky has found would just give the medal card which is on Ancestry, or provide a link to the documents on TNA.

If anyone has used the site successfully I would be interested to know what you found. I have been tempted at times but don't want to waste my money!
                    I must admit this site has come up a few times for my folk but I have not bothered to register as usually CWGC, ancestry, FMP etc are quite good, plus good old Google.
                    herky

Comment

Working...
                    X