Finding the correct Regimental Numbers on Military Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding the correct Regimental Numbers on Military Records

Hello. Can someone please advise me re finding the correct regimental numbers on military records. Each time I search for a particular person's record, I get several records and don't know how to identify the correct one. For one grandfather there are 10 suggested records, and he doesn't have a particular common name.

Is there a list somewhere that includes addresses or at least dates of birth, or contact details?

Sorry if this question has been asked many times before.
    Can you sense the frustration?

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.

Very often you don't find the regimental number until you have found the actual service records!
    If someone was killed in WW1 or WW2 then you should find their details, including reg.no., on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.

If you are looking on Ancestry or Findmypast for the service records then sometimes a year and/or place of birth can help - but if you are getting several results then you may have to open each record to see if they give any clues which can help confirm you have the right one.

Do you want to give the details of who you are looking for - someone may be able to help.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I have opened the records but they all only seem to give a name and a number and a list of war medals. I am interested for several reasons, partly because I think another relative has attributed a record to one grandfather that is incorrect. Also, I have another relative who I thought I could perhaps identify from his uniform in his wedding photos, if I knew which reg he was in, in the first place.

I'll plod on. Many thanks

PS I am using Ancestry.
      Last edited by Notquitefifty; 16-10-12, 10:55.

Comment

Which records are you trying to view and for which war?

If you are looking at the Medal Rolls Index Card database on Ancestry then all you will generally get is name, regimental number and list of medals.

There are two other databases on Ancestry you could try:
        British Army WW1 Service Records -

British Army WW1 Pension Records -

If you find an entry on either of these databases then there is usually more than one page to view - you need to select the next page at the top right of image.

If it is pre WW1 then you might find something on Findmypast or The National Archives.

We have a very detailed Military Research Guide in our reference library - you should find other useful links there.
        Elaine

Comment

Not forgetting that people tend to have at least two numbers: an original number (four digits, say) and the "long" number with six digits.

In addition, people tended to acquire a new number if they changed regiments, because the number was associated with the regiment of which they were a member.

Having said all that, I'm not an expert, so might have got 'crossed lines' - but I'm pretty sure about the short/long numbers because I had to deal with that when looking up my grandfather and great uncle's records at TNA.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, that's all really useful and I will check it all again. I was just searching Medal Rolls Index, as that was what came up in my military searches, so its good to have the links.

Thanks for warning about the numbers changing too. It's not meant to be easy is it.

Comment

Unless you know the regiment or the person has an unusual name, the Medal Rolls Index is very difficult to identify a single person in - For WW1 you really need to look at the service records , but because so many were destroyed/damaged during WW2 you need a bit of luck to find the one you want in there.

Pension records for WW1 are much more complete - but not every soldier qualified, so again you need to be lucky to find the one you want.

I have found service records for one of my grandfather's, but for the other one , nothing at all except a medal card.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

if you put the name on here somebody may find something

Comment

I have common names with my soldiers and I had to plod through many service records to eventually find one of them on Ancestry and three on FMP. Unfortunately it does mean a plod through each one, I am sorry to say, which takes a lot of time! :( Neither Ancestry nor FMP will rarely give the page you want on the first page, which is the page of date and place of birth etc. Yet another page may or may not give you next of kin details, so it does mean wading through each page until you hopefully find what you are looking for. Some service records are 3 pages, but many are 16/20 pages, some of which are duplicated!! :(They did also change regiments quite frequently, which can mean a change of number, so inputting one number may or may not be useful. Add to this transcription errors of names and places and you can see that it is a long search that is required.

In the main it would appear to be FMP for records pre 1914 and Ancestry for records post 1914. I have found only one on the medal cards and a possible one, but unsure if I have the correct one, mainly because the medal cards with the common names I am looking for, does not give me enough information to make me confident enough to know I have the correct person.

As has been said previously not all the records have survived, so there may not be a record for your ancestor.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 17-10-12, 11:38.

Comment

I've found it extremly difficult to be sure you've found the correct medal card unless you have at least one other piece of information. (i.e CWGC entry, service/pension record, knowledge of regiment etc.)

For men where none of the above clues exist, try local newspapers of the time for clues; sometimes there is mention of new recruits, or "news from the front." (In the archives for my local weekly, I came across a letter of thanks for Christmas treats sent by village residents - it gave the name of the regiment and listed the village men concerned.)

I would also say when looking at images of WW1 service records, BEWARE of sheets having been misfiled and erroniously placed in the file of another soldier of the same name. Those filming/indexing the records are doing exactly that - they do NOT have time (or the brief) to check that each doc headed "Joe Bloggs" belongs to the same Joe Bloggs.
                    I've come across a fair few instances of this.
                    Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 17-10-12, 12:23.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Also, if you can't identify him through Medal cards or service records, if you have an address for him you could contact the Archives local to where he was living to see if they have Absent Voters lists. If they have, this might give his regiment and/or number. Or, if he married during the war or children were born, the certificates may give details.
                      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for all of these ideas. I will follow them up. I do have an address for my Grandfather, and a town for Great Uncle, but I haven't found anything yet that matches.

Comment

Did your grandfather have a child during the war?

My grandfather's records haven't survived & my uncle searched the MICs at Kew 30+yrs ago opting for one of a possible 2 cards to be my grandfather.

When I took up the baton 20 yrs later I checked all his research & doubted he had the correct card. One of my aunt's was born in 1916 so on the off chance I sent for her birth certificate & there it was, Regiment, Battalion & Number, proving unfortunately that my uncle had been incorrect.

You may be lucky too.
                          Glen

Comment

Working...
                          X