Family Research in Malta : Suggestions appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Research in Malta : Suggestions appreciated

One of my great grandmothers was Maltese. She married an English soldier in Malta and they had 8 children, 6 of whom were born in Malta. I have details of their marriage in 1883 and I know the names and DOBs of the children - all girls. What I am trying to discover is when (and where) my great grandparents died and also what became of the 6 girls born in Malta. I have contacted 2 genealogists based in Malta: one is recuperating from major surgery and is not active and the other has failed to respond. I am therefore struggling to know how to proceed with my research. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

OD

are you sure they died in malta? do they appear in any of the english census?

Comment

The children's births should be indexed on FMP's army overseas births, and you can then buy the certs from the GRO?
      Ditto with a marriage. I'm told that army certs are unlikely to have fathers' names.

There's another recent thread that has a link to Maltese research.

If you have a specific place on Malta for the births, you can check familysearch's catalog: they do have some Malta records on film, which can be loaned to your nearest Family History Centre for a small fee

good luck!
      sarah

Comment

KyleJustin

I'm not 100% sure my great grandparents died in Malta but I've not been able to locate them in any English census or BMD records. From what my grandmother told me her parents definitely settled in Malta and so I'm assuming they died there as well.

Sarah

Thanks for your comments. I know the children's DOBs from my great grandfather's Army discharge and pension papers which I found on FindMyPast. However, by the time the children were old enough to get married my GGF was no longer in the Army so I doubt the marriages would have been recorded in any Army registers. I'll see if I can locate the Malta thread you mention.

OD
        Last edited by Officer Dibble; 16-10-12, 11:13. Reason: Text added

Comment

http://www.cyndislist.com/western-europe/general/ Have a look on this list to see if there is anything here to help you

Edna

Comment

Edna

Thank you so much. The link was really helpful.

OD

Comment

Working...
            X