A puzzler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A puzzler

I've never seen a census like this before, can anyone please advise me on what it actually means please? Especially the relationship part..

Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

The Scottish censuses can only be seen as images on Scotlands People, I think.

"Son Affead" looks like a mistranscription - although someone more experienced in Scottish genealogy might be able to correct me on that. From that perspective, it's a question of trying to imagine what handwritten word (or abbreviation) might look like "Affead". My first instict would be to suspect it should read "Adopt" or something like that.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My thoughts is that it could be "Son of Head" - Ceclia Lennon at the bottom is listed as Mother, so maybe she is also the Head of the family?

Or it could be Son/Head as he is listed first.
      Last edited by ozgirl; 15-10-12, 08:26. Reason: Adding more
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

if you can use an uncommon family member, such as cecilia lennon, you can jump on scotlandspeople, and using the information carefully (it is a credit based site, and designed to eat credits), such as her name and the county she is in, you can narrow down the results to make sure oyu get the right entry on scotlandspeople.

credits are relatively cheap, it is worth getting the census from them, even when it is just to see what ancestry mangled, and sometimes they got it right!

Comment

I too would subscribe to the suggestion of "Son of Head". However, the data in that Census looks very suspect. If you click on "John Lennon" for example, it says his parents are James and Catherine Kelly - both aged 29. As John Lennon is aged 22, this relationship seems unlikely.

OD

Comment

Aye but it does say that they transcribed it as best they could.. I know that all of Cecilia's children are hers to her husband Edward, I have confirmed that through another members family tree.

I have also seen what may be a photo of Patrick Jr with his wife and daughter, there's also an older picture of the daughter and she's the spitting image of Edwards Jr's grand-daughter Cecelia, my great- grandmother.

Comment

"Son of Head" seems more likely than my original suggestion.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I keep on getting affair when I search for the term which is obiously wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X