Unlikely but .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlikely but .......

Can anyone find sight or sound of a William Lacey Browne born c 1856 possibly in Dumfries or Northumberand. Had wife Isabella and daughter Alice Louiseb 1861 who married in 1893 in India to a John Terry- died in India too apparently? William - apparently signed as witness (Willie Browne) at the wedding in India and was at that time a Sergeant in the army. (I got a bit excited when I found a girl born inida and wife who could both fittish and the dad was a sergeant in the army on the english census but he had completely different first names John Barrett Browne)

Cousin's line but he is dead ended - and all the above is memory from what his own dad said and Im blowed if I can find anything on this chap. Please dont waste any of your time - but if any genius can find anything it would be great.
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 14-10-12, 14:30.

I can't sind anything on Scotlands People for a birth Heather - sorry.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Heather,
      I am a bit confused (quite normal for me!) - you have William BROWNE b c 1856 and daughter Alice b 1861.
      Have I read this wrong?
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Sorry, totally my fault. I just typed in details sent by cousin and hadnt double checked them. Ive now found what looks like the girls bap in India in 1862 so I am guessing more like 1830 for dad then. Im beginning to wonder whether the born in Scotland lead is a red herring and he may be a military family child also born India.

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG3D-VBG baptised India Umballa Bengal India 7th April 1861

Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGJ5-YWT Marriage of Alice Louise Browne

Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGXB-7VB George Clement Browne 1867 India

Edna

24 Nov 1866
              Jullundur Bengal India
              William Lacy Browne
              Last edited by clematised; 14-10-12, 23:04.

Comment

A member of GR username P has William Lacey Browne born 1825 Cumbria England if you want me to send a message, nothing for William Lacy Browne as in the birth for George Clement Browne on there or for George Lacy Browne. Nothing for Alice Louise Browne there either.

Edna

Just found someone with : Alice Browne (Lacey-Browne) India 1867 user name John-Christopher
                Last edited by clematised; 14-10-12, 23:28.

Comment

THanks so much.

The two above on GR I believe is cousin (John Christopher) and a lady he is in touch with. I dont think she knows where he really is from Edna. But many thanks for that George lead, pretty sure they dont have that info. I did find her marriage to John Terry on the British Indian family history site, but many thanks for looking, any little tit bits may be of use.

Very kind of you.

PS, I tried to look on the familysearch IGI a few times recently but its all different now to when we first used to do it. Is there a different way into it please? (I couldnt get through on the above links either :()
                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 15-10-12, 09:47.

Comment

I can usually find stuff on familysearch if ever you want something but heres how.
                    https://www.familysearch.org/ Open the page then ignore the box asking for details and scroll down where you will see Browse by location, a selection of continents ect.
                    Select asia and Middle East, this brings up all the collections for the area, then you will need to look up India Births or India marriages, or India deaths, as they are all added seperatly then add details but less bring up more names and if you get sorry no records for bla bla then remove some information possibly just add the surname and look through the records found. Deaths are not all recorded so may not be found.

Edna

Comment

As you have the two birth locations and the years, ask someone with military experience to see what regiments were in those places for those years to see if you can find a regiment for him.

Edna

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                      Last edited by clematised; 15-10-12, 15:59. Reason: add a link

Comment

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php?titl...giment_of_Foot This Regiment seems to be in India at the times of your births lots of reading here about them.

Edna

Comment

Brilliant thanks Edna, very grateful. I will pass it on to Chris.

Comment

Working...
                          X