Trusts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trusts

William Walton Sr's will was proved 1824. He made Jr his executor, leaving the money in trust for his widow, to pass to his three children when she died.

Which of course, she did in 1829.

I have found the Estate Duty Register for WW Sr. And it's confusing me.

* 2nd page, at the top, in a section titled "Sworn Under" is written L450
    ------> is that the estate's value, or is that the bond amount?

* in the first page, the sections "Legacies in Cash" & "Stock - nothing written in the columns

* Column headed "Legacies in Houses and other Property not in Money" is written: "All the Personal Estate"

There is something scribbled across the columns on a slant, really illegible, underlined, and then next to it "67" underlined, then underneath the underline "11/12/29" (I think!) and those are also circled - see attached!

Anyone have any insights? When was the probate estate settled? Do you think there are other records that can be retrieved?

Thanks
    Sarah

* 2nd page, at the top, in a section titled "Sworn Under" is written L450
    ------> is that the estate's value, or is that the bond amount?
    My understanding is that they have sworn that the value of the estate is less than £450. Without checking, I can't be sure of course, but I imagine that that is some kind of cut-off/boundary for death duty?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, Christine. I think that's what it is saying, too.

No one has any idea why the other sets of dates are there? If the one set really does use 1829 & 1830, then I do suspect it has something to do with the widow's death. I have no idea what 1867 would have to do with it. That's on the second page, the narrow rectangle. I think it says "Considered not worth following (1867) see amount sworn under"

It sounds like the account was reviewed, and found incomplete, but they didn't consider it worth following up. Anyone else?

thanks

Comment

Working...
      X