Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration from America to Britain - c. 1849

Hi all,

Does anybody know where I could find immigration records/passenger lists for a gentleman who travelled from the US to Britain around 1849?

I have looked at Ancestry, the National Archives, and have even tried the American National Archives, and can find plenty of records for people entering the US in the 1840's, but none for people leaving.

Thanks,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

I don't think much has survived for that period:

Comment

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your response.
      Oh well, it looks like I'm out of luck (not that the records would have been of much relevance, it would have just confirmed my feelings on a matter or two!).

Many thanks,
      Tippin
      Last edited by Tippin; 13-10-12, 16:59.
      Families Intrested in
      Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

If they immigrated - did they become UK citizens? Have you looked for those papers?

Comment

Unfortunately, the person I am after was born in the UK, so he would not have needed to become a UK citizen.

The person I am looking for was called James Thomas Tatham, who born in London in 1801. He left this country to go to America in 1842, leaving his wife Ellen and 3 children behind. Ellen gave birth to a son 6 months after James left in the workhouse on Cleveland Street. After this, she seems to have travelled back to Worcestershire, where she was born, and according to two newspaper articles I have found 'co habited' with a man called Griffiths. The newspapers say that James was in America for seven years, so should have returned around 1849, the problem is my 2nd great grandmother, Rosannah Tatham, was born in 1847, the daughter of Ellen, but who was the father? I was hoping to find the records to prove the reliability of the seven year stint in America for James, proving that he could not be the father. The newspaper articles do mention that Ellen had a daughter by Mr. Griffiths, which I believe is my Rosannah, it just would have been nice to have 100% proof that James wasn't even in the country when Rosannah was conceived (just in case there is a daughter born between 1842 and 1847 that I don't know about).

Tippin
          Families Intrested in

Comment

I am a little lost here ...
            Rosanna Tatham christened 19th August 1849 at Ribbesford ,Worcester - parents James Thomas Tatham / Helen Tatham

is this YOUR Rosanna ??...if so - how do you know he didn`t come home from America periodically ?...many men did "hop across the pond " as part of their job ...was your Ellen actually born Helen ...?
            allan
            Last edited by garstonite; 14-10-12, 09:45.
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Very few people would have lied to the Vicar back then, so I think it is pretty certain James is the father of Rosanna.

OC

Comment

I can`t find a marriage for James / Helen ( Ellen ) ...so do we presume they married before registration in 1837 ?? do you have Helen /Ellens surname by any chance ?
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Robert Tatham born 2nd nov 1842 - christened 29th dec 1842 at St Ann , Soho, Westminster,London
                  - parents James Thomas Tatham and Ellen ......can`t find any more ...
                  Robert 1842
                  Rosanna 1847
                  what year was the other child born / and what was the name ??
                  allan

Comment

Hi Allan/OC,

James Thomas Tatham and Ellen (100% Ellen, not Helen) Turley were married in Claines in 1832.
                    They had the following children - Edward James (b. Martley 1834), George (b. 1837 London), Ellen (b. 1840 London), and Robert (b. 1842 London).

James Thomas emigrates to America May 1842, passing through Ellis Island.

Rosannah was born around 1847, in either Astley (1851 census), Bewdley (1861 census - Mother deceased, living as a servant), London (1871 census) or Stourport (1881 census).

She had a younger sister, called Louisa, born around 1849, at Bewdley.

The newspaper article from the Worcester Journal, states that he was in America for seven years from 1842. I can't find any record of him re-entering America after 1842. Also I doubt he would have been able to travel back from forth from America, he was only a currier, and within 6 months of him leaving his family is destitute having to live in the workhouse, so I doubt he would have had enough money to travel.

If the newspaper can be believed when it comes to seven years, and I have no reason to believe it is not, and if the records have not survived to disprove it, I can see no way that Rosannah was James's daughter.

The newspaper also detailed how Ellen returned to James after his arrival back into the country, but left him soon afterwards because of threats towards herself and her daughter, who was described to be the daughter of Mr. Griffiths (unfortunately, no name mentioned). Admittedly it could be a daughter born before Rosannah, that was why I was after the immigration records to prove when he came back. If this was seven years after he left, it would mean 1849, which was when Rosannah & Louisa were christened as his children (Although Louisa could be James's child).

Tippin
                    Last edited by Tippin; 14-10-12, 11:23.
                    Families Intrested in

Comment

No idea where in the US he was? What was his occupation?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                        No idea where in the US he was? What was his occupation?
                        I have no idea where James went once he passed through the other side of Ellis, and I have no idea where to start (I am completely out of my depth with US sources). I have looked on the 1850 census, but he is not there.

James' occupation was Currier (Worker of Leather).

Tippin
                        Families Intrested in

Comment

Have you ruled out the James Tatham aged 51, born England, who was in NY with a Thomas Tatham and family in 1850? He isn't with them in 1860.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 14-10-12, 18:47.

Comment

Hi Mary,

Thanks for having a look for me. That could well be James on the 1850 census - I had not found that entry when I looked, but I don't think I will ever know the full story (if he was in America in 1850, then Louisa could not be his child as well, and the newspaper articles would be out by a year). I know he is back in the UK by the 1851 census.

Thanks,
                            Tippin
                            Families Intrested in

Comment

Working...
                            X