Person appears twice in a Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Person appears twice in a Census

This should never happen, of course, but it does.

I have come across two general situations:
    1a. a family member (presumably normally at home) is away visiting; recorded in both places
    1b. in one case, the head of the household plus wife (there are no children) are visitors elsewhere in the town but is also noted (without wife) at home, with a couple of servants and a visitor
    2. a junior family member (perhaps no longer living 'at home') is working as a servant elsewhere; recorded in both places

I guess I have observed 5 or 6 cases in all out of around 14000 census entries noted. But there may be more - having found someone once in a census, I tend to stop looking!

Has anyone got a feel for how often this happens?

I have one lady in Hospital and also at home with her husband ,I have another who is on at least 3 census records visiting her children, thing is although you aren't supposed to fill the form in till census night a lot of people filled them in way before.

Comment

my great grandma is listed at her employers home in 1911, and at home with her parents, her parents also listed all of their children, even the ones that had married and moved out lol. i thought it was great, the enumerator didn't and put a line through their names.

Comment

I have a couple - one child at his aunt's and at home (though as his father had died the previous week I should think the last thing on their minds was filling in the census form), and one man at home and in the local pub!

As you say, it shouldn't happen but it does - but from my research I'd say it's not that common.

More frustrating those people who are completely missing from a census!

Comment

Ive had several instances - mainly your 1a & 2 categories

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think I have about 3 or 4 instances in my and OH's trees.

Anne

Comment

I've got 2 like that, great grandad simultanously on his ship in Aldrington Basin and at home in Rustington in 1901, and in the same year a cousin of his at home with her husband in Greenwich and visiting her parents in the Cotswolds.

Comment

Ive also got a couple where kids are obviously staying night with rellies but are added on both households forms.

Comment

I have a couple - a child recorded with grandparents/aunt/uncle, and also at home, and someone recorded on board as well as at home. In one case the only record I have is of someone who is part of the crew of a ship, but is on the "not on board" list!

Occasionally, I have seen the poignant record of children who had died - especially in1911, where that question is recorded of how many children were born to the marriage and how many still survive. It's very helpful (for us!) when widows record the children of the marriage, even though the husband had died some years before. But that's another topic, really.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X