Parks/Parkes - 1881...1891

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parks/Parkes - 1881...1891

I have been trying to find my Grandfather George Edward Parks/es on the 1881 & 1891 Census. I have searched repeatedly but cannot find him. He was born in Bethnal Green
    in 1872. His parents were John William & Sarah Ann Parkes. In 1891 they may have been living in Hackney. After John William,s death in 1885 Sarah Ann Parks re-married Thomas
    George Tiffen in 1886. I have searched under this name too.

By 1901 George Edward had married Matilda Underwood this and 1911 were easily found.

If anyone could lend an additional pair of eyes it would be appreciated.

dreen22

According to the christening record John William was a glassblower ?

I think you may find the family in 1881 at 7 Louisa St, Shoreditch. The enumerator seems to have recorded the family name as Sparks

Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

good call Antony.. :smilee:
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thomas and Sarah Tiffin in 1891 .... a possible match ?
        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Parks/Parkes 1881...1891

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
          According to the christening record John William was a glassblower ?

I think you may find the family in 1881 at 7 Louisa St, Shoreditch. The enumerator seems to have recorded the family name as Sparks

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...881&h=14972532
          Many thanks Anthony, yes that is my family.
          Enumerator must have had trouble deciphering their own writing I guess. I knew they had at some stage lived in Shoreditch but the blip with the surname, of course , prevented it from showing up. I much appreciate your input.

dreen22

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
            Thomas and Sarah Tiffin in 1891 .... a possible match ?
            http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=10023395
            Thank-you.
            I have this one but, of course, no sign of George Edward. Mystery on this one is Emma Tiffin. She was not their daughter and I believe she was a niece. Perhaps she was just visiting although
            listed as a daughter.

I wonder what delightful surname George E will eventually surface under.

Again, many thanks.

dreen22

Comment

I'm sure you will have done this already - desperate situations lead to desperate measures! - but imaginative use of wildcards can sometimes crack this kind of nut. Common names or ones with many variant spellings are particularly awkward. Just to share a couple...

Looking for George W Price and his fairly new wife Mary Orledge Price in 1871 drew a blank until I looked for G* Pr* in a household with Mary; he turns up as Geo Plin, which is exactly what it says on the original image!

The surname Spearell or Spurrell or Spurl or Sperrill or... or... (I still don't know how this should be best recorded as I believe the family to have been illiterate). This seems to defy the 'Soundex' searches and some sites don't yet allow wildcards.

Comment

Yes I have tried the wildcard option, but nothing yet. I shall probably eventually revert to the old pre-internet days when I would trawl a particular area for hours which with lots of patience can
                bring rewards.

dreen22

Comment

Following on from the above, and the finding of my Grandfather on the 1881 Census, for which I was very grateful.
                  Having checked on my grandfather's siblings one of them has presented another question, so I was wondering if I
                  might ask for an extra pair of eyes again.

In 1885 Sarah Ann Parks married Joseph Buckee. In December 1888 they are to be found in The Bethnal Green Workhouse
                  where Sarah had just given birth to a daughter Jennie. Sadly Jennie died the following day. The death indexes do not show,
                  or, I did not find, that Sarah Ann died, in fact I cannot find anything further on Sarah Ann Buckee in any record. I found husband Joseph
                  still in the workhouse in later years which states he was single.

Should anyone be able to help I would be most grateful.

dreen22

Comment

Working...
                  X