What happened to Algernon Pearl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Algernon Pearl?

Algernon Pearl was born at Woodham Ferris/Ferrers, Essex in 1879 & the last sighting of him is in 1891 at Woodham F. He was then living with his mother Sarah, 7 siblings & a governess. His parents Frederick & Sarah had separated in 1890 after Frederick unsuccessfully petitioned for a divorce from Sarah on account of her having had an affair with the local stationmaster. In 1901 Sarah is still living in W F with just her youngest son & Frederick is living in Shenfield with one daughter. In 1911 both Frederick & Sarah have filled in the years married, children etc & both say they had 9 children, 6 of them still living. I can account for the deaths of 2 children so presume Algernon is the 3rd child that died but I can’t find a death for him in the indexes. All other children accounted for in 1911. Burials at Woodham F. are in the NBI but no Pearls listed.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Moggie

nope can't see him.. sorry, have tried all different wildcards nothing.. :(
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Can't see anything for Algernon but there is a death in South Africa 1902 for Private A Pearl, soldier number 2009, C Division South African Constabulary listed on Find My Past http://www.findmypast.co.uk/military...BW&rfnbr=61378 If he was serving in SA that would account for no sign on 1901 census.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

judith's right, if he was in the boer war, and a casualty, that would explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
          Can't see anything for Algernon but there is a death in South Africa 1902 for Private A Pearl, soldier number 2009, C Division South African Constabulary listed on Find My Past http://www.findmypast.co.uk/military...BW&rfnbr=61378 If he was serving in SA that would account for no sign on 1901 census.
          if you have a sub to Ancestry.. this is the link

UK, Casualties of the Boer War, 1899-1902
          Name: A Pearl
          Casualty Type: Killed
          Casualty Date: 8 Feb 1902
          Casualty Place: Van Tondershk
          Regiment: South African Constabulary
          Battalion: C Division/Number: 2009
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Found this .....there's a A Pearl mentioned.....he is mentiond again in the 2nd link....8th Feb..near the bottom, Moggie

Last edited by Tilly Mint; 10-10-12, 19:20.
            Jacky

Comment

Thank you everyone for this info about A Pearl. It's looking very good but any ideas how I can find out what the A stands for? I haven't a clue when it comes to military records.
              Thanks also to Val (who wished she never started!) & Elaine in Spain for their PMs.
              I've just downloaded 250 pages (FREE) from TNA of men who were in the South African Constabulary who won medals but as yet I haven't found A Pearl. Perhaps he didn't win a medal.
              Moggie

Comment

The Medal Roll is on Ancestry and he's just listed as A Pearl - sorry!
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Just spotted the second link Tilly Mint. Thanks
                  Thanks annswabey. Is there any way I can find out what the A stands for?
                  Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                    The Medal Roll is on Ancestry and he's just listed as A Pearl - sorry!
                    Hi
                    Is it possible to put a link to this record as I can't seem to find it. Many thanks
                    Moggie

Comment

Here it is

If you want to find in in the TNA record, it's ref WO100/272 folio 83
                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                        Thanks very much.
                        I don't know why it didn't come up for me.
                        Moggie

Comment

Hi
                          It looks like the A stood for Alfred. I have found a reference to an Alfred Pearl which fits date wise on the National Archives of South Africa with the same Reg no 2009 for the A Pearl in the Military Campaign Medal & Award Roll on Ancestry. It could still be him if he changed his name but how to prove it. His parents had lived apart for over 20 years when they filled in the 1911 census forms but they appeared to know that he was dead.
                          Thanks to everyone for their help.
                          Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                            Hi
                            It looks like the A stood for Alfred. I have found a reference to an Alfred Pearl which fits date wise on the National Archives of South Africa with the same Reg no 2009 for the A Pearl in the Military Campaign Medal & Award Roll on Ancestry. It could still be him if he changed his name but how to prove it. His parents had lived apart for over 20 years when they filled in the 1911 census forms but they appeared to know that he was dead.
                            Thanks to everyone for their help.
                            Moggie
                            I don't suppose his attestation papers have survived as they often have next of kin on them.

Margaret

Comment

His record will be in South Africa. Getting hold of it is probably very difficult!

Comment

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/ZAF/ You may find some information by joining the Rootsweb mailing lists for SA

Edna

Comment

I'll pm you a page from my family joining the police, Moggie.

I was sent these papers for just a couple of ££s...i have gone through all my old emails and can't find my contact...he had the papers to me within a few days.

I will look to see if i have anything in my paperwork to see if i can find it for you

This chap who got the info for me lives out there.

Ooops, can you send me your email addy please.
                                  Last edited by Tilly Mint; 11-10-12, 20:39.
                                  Jacky

Comment

Yeah.....i've found the chap with his email addy !!

I send it to your email when you send your addy, Moggy.
                                    Jacky

Comment

Oh that's good you have a contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                                        Yeah.....i've found the chap with his email addy !!

I send it to your email when you send your addy, Moggy.
                                        Have sent you a PM
                                        Many thanks
                                        Moggie

Comment

Working...
                                        X