Can anybody help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody help please?

I have hit a brickwall searching for my paternal great grandmother Fanny Elizabeth Crush nee Day. She was born on 28 Feb 1879 in Bletchington Oxon, the daughter of Edwin (sometimes Edward) & Caroline Day. She married my great grandfather Charles Arthur Crush on 6 Aug 1896 in Fyfield Berks.

The last record I have of her is in the 1911 Census living at 85 Carter St, Newington London SE although the Census has her husband and 2 of her children living at 26 Azenby Rd, Peckham London SE15. Their third child was living with her parents in Bletchington Oxon (as per 1911 Census).

I know her husband was killed in WW1 in 1916. I cannot trace her having married again or having died. Her name does not appear on the LMA Electoral Roll lists but it could be that she lived with her son Charles (also known as George) in Battersea. My one thought is that she died as a civilian casualty in the war but she does not appear on the CWGC results.

Can anyone push me in the right direction or have I missed something obvious?

Many thanks.
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

cannot find a thing ? maybe she moved in with somebody and used his surname but never married him ?

Comment

there are quite a few Fanny Elizabeth deaths, born around the right time ? if the person who registered her death did not know the date of birth then it would be wrong on the cert anyway.

Comment

do you have her husbands military records? it might give a NOK and/or address to begin looking
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

how about, on the electoral rolls for her son charles in battersea - all in wickersley road

charles crush appears to be living with george and fanny goodman http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=9237612

earlier rolls has fanny goodman living in battersea with john joseph goodman http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...&pid=131239398

cant find a marriage though

son ? george r v goodman 1914 mother maiden name DAY

death

worth a deeper look
          Lorraine

Comment

marriage for CHARLES EDWIN CRUSH

Witnesses EDWIN DAY / FANNY GOODMAN

Last edited by loltel; 08-10-12, 22:48.
            Lorraine

Comment

how about this death
              Frances E Goodman in Battersea Mar 1934 1D 565 aged 52
              Last edited by Guest; 08-10-12, 23:15.

Comment

Originally posted by loltel View Post
                marriage for CHARLES EDWIN CRUSH

Witnesses EDWIN DAY / FANNY GOODMAN

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=3765377
                interesting note there in the register about Charles altering the marriage cert to include the name George.. [19th? Oct 1919, in the presence of G C E Crush & F M Crush]
                Julie

Comment

To Val wish I'd never started, Darksecretz and loltel

Amazing how fellow genealogists can come up with new ideas.

1.I might just have to check out the 1934 death.

2. No WW1 records - he was in the Dorsetshire Regt and all their records are lost, so I have been told

3. I have been aware of Fanny Goodman since I was born! I was actually born in Wickersley Rd and my family lived just across the street from her house. In fact my grandfather Charles/George moved from our flat into her house and lodged there til he died in 1961. I already have her death certificate which states 'widow of John Joseph Goodman'. You would think my father or my mother would have told us kids that she was actually grandad's mother, we did call her 'Granny'! I think you may be right that they co-habited without benefit of marriage, even though she was a widow.

PS I had completely forgotten about Charles' marriage cert - it would make sense, his maternal grandfather and his mother being witnesses

Once again, many thanks
                  Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

To all those lovely people who gave me suggestions to trace Fanny Crush.

I have trawled through lots of records including Electoral Rolls and have come to the conclusion that you were all right! I believe that Fanny Crush is now Fanny Goodman, and aside from her sonss birth records showing mother's maiden name as Day but the 1947 Electoral Roll shows a resident for that year as Caroline Day, and she is her mother. Once again, many thanks.

Darksecretz

I had never come across an entry like that in a register before. His birth name was Charles Edwin Jubilee George CRUSH and he obviously couldn't make up his mind which one he preferred!

Comment

will you be sending for the death cert ? hope so

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        will you be sending for the death cert ? hope so
                        do you mean Fanny Goodman one Val?

am pretty certain I read that she has this cert already [post#9] and that the penny didn't drop that it was actually her Granny...
                        Julie

Comment

To Val wish I'd never started and Darksecretz

Am in possession of grandad's death certificate - name on certificate reads Charles Edwin Jubilee George Crush (which it would as my father was the informant).

PS Jubilee because he was born in 1897!

Comment

Working...
                          X