John Phillips of 1791

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Phillips of 1791

Can anyone have a quick check of a record for me please?
    I have a John Phillips of 26th January 1791 from Thornaby-On-Tees married to Mary blank from Houghton-le-springs
    They have 3 children:
    John- 1820 (ancestor)
    Ann- 1822
    Sarah :D - 1825

I think I may have found a baptism record for him and I was wondering if anyone could check it out for me please?
    I'm afraid that I can't link as it's more of a hint and may actually come out as more of a preview of what it would look like. I'm asking because there's not much information given, just his name and England.

Heck is it even worth looking at?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

where have you found this baptism, is it on Ancestry? if so, can you copy & paste the address from the browser into the thread so that we can have a look. pls

have you tried cross reffing with www.familysearch.org at all?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I don't know the area Sarah but have you had a look at this?

Julie

Comment

oops didn't think of that one :P but adding the marraige details and taking the thornaby away gave me his wife's actual name :D

Mary Younger, 31st October 1819. I had the year and the first name so it has to be him, plus it's in Haughton which is where his kids were all born. Maybe that's also where he was born and I got the info wrong..

Comment

There is a marriage for a John Phillips and Mary Younger, in Houghton le Springs - 31 October 1819
          taken from a transcription of Marriages from the Houghton-le-Spring Registers (1800-1824)

Elaine

Comment

See you found it Sarah!
            Elaine

Comment

yay!! dont cha love it when a plan comes together? :smilee:
              Julie

Comment

Yuppers and I think I've got her baptism, the mothers name is there but no father I'm afraid..

Comment

Image of the entry in marriage register - just for info!

source: Family Search
                  Elaine

Comment

Cheers for that Elaine :D Can add it to my tree now, is it me or is there a little mark to say that they couldn't read or write? Mum thinks thats what it is above their names..

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      where have you found this baptism, is it on Ancestry? if so, can you copy & paste the address from the browser into the thread so that we can have a look. pls

have you tried cross reffing with www.familysearch.org at all?
                      http://wiz.ancestry.co.uk/Preview/?s...sln=&h=5906935

Comment

It says "his mark" and "her mark" - fairly common for that time - they marked their signature with a cross.
                        Elaine

Comment

oh right, cheers for clearing that one up..

Comment

Re your link in post #11, if you were checking for a baptism of a John Phillips christened on 26 Jan 1791 (the date shown on your first post) then it may well have been this one:

John Phillips
                            Christened 26 Jan 1791, Barton le Street, Yorkshire
                            Father: James Phillips
                            Mother: Jane
                            Source: England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906 (Ancestry)

Don't really see how you could tie this in to the rest of the information with any sort of certainty.
                            Elaine

Comment

Cheers Elaine, it just gave me small hints of the name and England, naturally there's millions of John Phillips' out in the world so I just wished to check.. I'm not sure where I found the Thornaby now. May have been FamilySearch..

Comment

At least I'm now the happy owner of a marraige banns and 4 baptism records :D

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  Re your link in post #11, if you were checking for a baptism of a John Phillips christened on 26 Jan 1791 (the date shown on your first post) then it may well have been this one:

John Phillips
                                  Christened 26 Jan 1791, Barton le Street, Yorkshire
                                  Father: James Phillips
                                  Mother: Jane
                                  Source: England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906 (Ancestry)

Don't really see how you could tie this in to the rest of the information with any sort of certainty.
                                  I'm still stuck on John and I've gone back through this thread and my searches and I just can't work out how the birthplace of Thornaby matches the marraige place and the birth of his children Houghton-le-spring. I can't find any birth for a John Phillips in Thornaby-On-Tees. At least the date matches though.

Comment

i would assume you have phillip and his family in the census, that is how you would know birthplaces.

Comment

I can't be absolutely sure but I think I may have finally found the death of John Phillips (I) :D

I was looking on Durham Records Online and found the death of a John Phillips in 1825, Houghton le Spring (The year that I have the last child being born) with an estimated birth of 1791 so I thought I'd try using FamilySearch and luckily I found it there:

Name John Phillips
                                      Burial Date: 26th June 1825
                                      Burial Place: Houghton Le Spring, Durham, England
                                      Birth Year: 1791

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Working...
                                      X