Male Servants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male Servants

Just received this email from my cousin about his direct ancestor who was a male servant. Does anyone know the answer please??

"Would you happen to know if records of the tax on male servants are kept at any of the principle archives. I wanted to have a delve for one concerning Mark Charles Baizley. The employing family purchased a yearly certificate, one of which was shown on Who Do You Think You Are a couple of weeks ago".

Informative article about the tax here, who was included and when

Hair powder, windows, carriages and coaches, and carriage and saddle horses were not the only luxuries which were taxed during the Regency. Many people also had to pay taxes on the servants they em…

Never had cause to look for any examples of male servant tax - all mine worked on the land and not included - so can't answer your question, Heather.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

good old Google! see the bit about Taxation below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyh...nd_18_01.shtml
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
        Informative article about the tax here, who was included and when

Hair powder, windows, carriages and coaches, and carriage and saddle horses were not the only luxuries which were taxed during the Regency. Many people also had to pay taxes on the servants they em…

Never had cause to look for any examples of male servant tax - all mine worked on the land and not included - so can't answer your question, Heather.

Jay
        I have just read that article Jay, and it was quite informative, though she doesn't say where she found the info about the taxes though...
        Julie

Comment

Many thanks both. As you say, its very interesting isnt it but doesnt give the info cousin needs for his search :(

Kind of you x

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
            Many thanks both. As you say, its very interesting isnt it but doesnt give the info cousin needs for his search :(

Kind of you x
            I would think reading that bit on the beebs site that any servant tax records would be at the Record Office/Archives in the county where the person was in service. [thats how I understood the wording to mean anyway]
            Julie

Comment

so the law wasn't repealed until 1889? i may just be able to find my james conway who was a 'butler'.

Comment

bbc site says that the servants tax is at the national archives, it doesn't mention individual archives, or whether all of the records at kew.

Comment

Does anyone know the kind of information that would appear in the record? The links didn't mention the specifics that might be in an entry?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    bbc site says that the servants tax is at the national archives, it doesn't mention individual archives, or whether all of the records at kew.
                    so it does Kyle... :emb:

but maybe worth asking at Local Archives?
                    Julie

Comment

Thanks again Thing is, Im not sure if he has enough detail for a full search.

Comment

Working...
                      X