Curragh Camp 1917

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curragh Camp 1917

On my mother's birth certificate it states that her father's residence was "Curragh Camp" and that he was a BUTLER. I don't know how to find out if he was in the army (because of his residence) or if he was a civilian butler. Rumour has it that he came from Waterford or Wexford. Any ideas or help would be very welcome please.

Have you found him on 1911 census? If so, where was he and what was his occupation?

(1917 was during WW1 and also the Irish troubles, so Curragh Camp wouldn't be carrying out its normal function of providing training facilities for each British regiment in turn.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I've just had another look on the 1911 Irish census and there is only one person who could possibly be my grandfather, given his age in relation to my grandmother. He is working for a family as a "Farm Servant". I know my Gran used to talk to me about working in Johnstown Castle in Wexford (next county to Waterford) so perhaps they worked there together?

Comment

From Wikipedi re Curragh Camp, which camp is in County Kildare:

"The Curragh Camp and Irish independence."

At the time of the passage of the Home Rule Act in 1914, the Camp became the scene of the Curragh Incident, where a number of officers proposed to resign rather than enforce Home Rule against the will of the Unionists.

After the Irish War of Independence (21 January 1919 – 11 July 1921) the British Army handed over the Curragh Camp to the Irish Free State Army. The handover took place at 10 o’clock on Tuesday, May 16, 1922 when the camp was handed over to a party of Irish troops commanded by Lt Gen O’Connell. On Monday evening the Union Flag was lowered for the last time. At 12 o’clock, noon, on the Tuesday, Lt Gen O’Connell climbed the Water Tower and hoisted the first Tricolour to fly over the Curragh Camp. By tradition the British army had cut down the flagpole requiring the Irish officers to physically hold the Flagpole while the Tricolour was raised. During the period since 1922 the Union Flag was cared for by the Stokes family who presented the flag to the GOC Curragh in 1997. Both the Union Flag and the Tricolour, which measures 10’ x 18’ are now preserved in the DFTC.[6]

In 1928 the seven barracks were renamed after the executed leaders of the 1916 Rising, as follows:
        • Ponsonby Barracks is now Plunkett Barracks.
        • Stewart Barracks is now Connolly Barracks.
        • Beresford Barracks is now Ceannt Barracks.
        • A.S.C. Barracks is now Clarke Barracks.
        • Engineer Barracks is now MacDermott Barracks.
        • Gough Barracks is now MacDonagh Barracks.
        • Keane Barracks is now Pearse Barracks

You can search for army records on FMP and Ancestry to see if your man is on there. Many Irishmen joined the British Army and fought for the British army during World War 1, so it is possible that he was in the army, having perhaps joined in 1916, even though he was at Johnstown Castle in 1911.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 05-10-12, 20:13.

Comment

Working...
        X