Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone see my Nan in the 1901 census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone see my Nan in the 1901 census?

Hi

I've been researching my tree since 2002. Ever since then, I have been trying to find my Nan in the 1901 census, but no joy! She's not with any relations, and I cant see her in any institutions or hospitals.

Her name was Isabella Jane Ivey born 7th May 1889 (died Isabella Jacobs 21st March 1981)

She was born & lived in Randalls Buildings, Poplar until it was blitzed, then they moved (with my dad) to Canton Street, Poplar.

She is clearly in the 1891 census with parents Maria & Richard Ivey, step-brother Francis & sisters Maria, Edith & Nellie. She's also in the 1911 census... I would love to know where she was in 1901.

I think she may have been in a hospital or convalescent home because according to Dad, she told him she was very close to her younger sister Lydia and they both became very ill with Diptheria.

On the 14th August 1900, Nan & Lydia were at either end of the settee wrapped in blankets both very unwell. My g-granddad had bought the girls a toy china tea set and they were playing with it. Lydia died that afternoon, she still had the milk jug from the tea set in her hand when she stopped breathing. Nan kept that toy milk jug all her life, after Nan died Dad had it, then he gave it to me. Its about 2 inches high and an inch in diameter, made of orange china...

Anyway, apparently Nan became very ill a few days or so later and stopped breathing just as Lydia had done, the story goes her mother Maria picked Nan up and threw her on the settee with all her might screaming that she didn't want to lose another child. The force of her hitting the settee on her back forced air into her lungs and she started crying...Nan would have been 11 at the time.

So I was wondering if she was in a hospital or convalescent home somewhere from August 1900 to April 1901 when the census was taken? and if so would it have been in Poplar, or out in the countryside somewhere, and would it have taken that long to recover from Diptheria?

Thanks
    Sandra

Could she have been with her Grandparents?

Might be worth a look, as I have found a missing family member staying with his Grandparents on the 1901 Census.

Holly.

Comment

I can't see anything likely at the moment Sandra, sorry
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I've seached grandparents, great-grandparents, uncles, aunties, cousins on both sides, even searched the witness's to her parents marriage and even her god-parents but have reached a complete blank... As I've said been looking on and off now for the past 10 years :(

She would have been 12 by then, probably old enough to be in service, but then again she didn't go into service and didn't leave the family home..until she married in 1915 then moved in next door!

I think my next sreach would be to look at school records, but I can't get up to the Tower Hamlets local studies library. There are nore and more school records for London coming online, so I think its a case of just periodically having a look to see if she appears around about that time.

Thanks for looking though

Sandra

Comment

Hi Sandra,

I've looked through the 1901 and I can't see her either. I do appreciate how frustrating it must be for you, - I can't find my Grandfather on any of the earlier Censuses!
          Re: Tower Hamlets Library, - have you tried emailing or phoning them to ask if they could look this up for you? I have had amazing help from Swansea Library, who have looked up lots of things for me.

Best Wishes, Holly.

Comment

Off Ancestrys london schools admission records I found
            Richard Ivey b 23 nov 1877 aged 6 admission date 25 Aug 1884 to Atley Road School Tower Hamlets father Richard
            and Maria Ivey aged 4 b 1879 admission date 25 Aug 1884 father Richard to Atley school Tower Hamlets too.
            So both enrolled the same day.
            the school was renamed George Lansbury Primary School in 1951
            There is no sign of Isabella or Lydia on their lists with or without Richard and Maria as parents. sorry.
            I have also looked on 1901 census and family search but nothing is jumping out.
            I tried Isa* iso* bel* and ?vey as searchers.
            hope you find her eventually
            Angelina

Comment

had a search of the poplar diptheria hospital and she's not in there, sorry

It could just be a simple case that she was left off the census by mistake.
              Lorraine

Comment

Thanks Angelina, yep got them. They were nan's brother & sister.
                Thanks for searching the Poplar Diptheria Hospital loltel..I din't realise there was one!...but you could be right, she could have been left off by mistake.
                Thanks everyone who had another look for me

Comment

Yes, looking at the image - the family are at the bottom of a census page - it really could be that the enumerator (the census were copied out again back at the office, which id the copy we see) flipped over a page and left the kids off :(

Comment

Working...
                  X