Trying to find a death of my Grand Uncle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find a death of my Grand Uncle

Hi All, One of my great Grandad and Nan's sons was Thomas Harvey born 14th Dec 1903 and baptised 6th Jan 1904.
    (Source : London, England births and baptisms 1813-1906)
    But Thomas is not listed on the 1911 Census ?
    Thomas Harvey
    Baptism
    6 Jan 1904
    Thomas Harvey
    Elizabeth Harvey
    Ratcliffe
    Tower Hamlets
    Parish Registers
    His mother is Elizabeth and father Thomas. (of 24 Medland Street Ratcliff on the 1911 and other census returns)
    I am assuming he has passed of course otherwise why is he not on the 1911 census ?
    Any ideas greatfully received.
    Kind regards John

On the GRO index here is a death of a Thomas HARVEY, aged 0, in Q1 of 1904 registered in Stepney volume 1c page 258 which looks likely.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

It should say on the census return how many children she has had and how many still living.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        On the GRO index here is a death of a Thomas HARVEY, aged 0, in Q1 of 1904 registered in Stepney volume 1c page 258 which looks likely.
        Thanks Judith, Yes I did see that one but was a bit puzzled as the age was zero, as he was born on 14th Dec 1903 and baptised on 6th Jan 1904 ?
        Thanks again John

Thanks OC, I didn't realise that was the case ?
        I can't access that from here so will have a look when I get home.
        John
        Last edited by john_harvey; 05-10-12, 09:58.

Comment

"Age zero" in the death registers just means under one year old.

The 1911 census asks married women how many children born to this marriage and how many still living.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            "Age zero" in the death registers just means under one year old.

The 1911 census asks married women how many children born to this marriage and how many still living.

OC
            Ah right I see, that's why I am still a novice
            So that one does look likely then, only why to be sure of course is to get the certificate.
            That is why MY uncle dosen't recall HIS uncle Thomas, in fact he was so mad with me about it that he didn't talk to me for a while !
            I said to me " Dont you dare try and tell me how many uncles I had ! "
            Thanks again John

Comment

Thomas & Elizabeth filled in the 1911 census form incorrectly - the details of children were entered for Thomas, when they should have been for Elizabeth. Thomas has put there were 5 children from the marriage and that 5 are still living. (There are certainly five children living at home on census night.) However, he has also entered that 5 children have died and then crossed this through. So, my take is that the information on the form may well not be completely accurate.

The address of the parents and also the occupation of the father are the same on the bp entry and the census form, so my view is that infant Thomas was their child but has not been included in the totals.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks very much Janet...

Comment

Working...
                X