Marriage Query, 1889

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Query, 1889

I've found a Marriage on Ancestry for a William James Wilson in Swansea, Glamorgan in March 1889, Volume 11a Page 887.

My problem is that there are three females listed on the same page: Mary Shill, Mary Lynch and Eliza Smalldridge.

Is there any way of ascertaining which of them married William James Wilson? (Apart from ordering the Cert I mean).

Holly.

The Eliza Smalldridge entry has been mistranscribed - it should be page 387, Cardiff so you can discount that. That leaves 2 brides both called Mary. The only way I can think of is to try to find them before marriage and hope that their place and / or date of birth is different. If you have William and wife after marriage see if the wife's details match with one of them
    Jackie

Comment

Have you tried looking at the 1891 census to see who William James Wilson is living with? The two Mary's may not help but if it is Elizabeth than you may have the answer to your own question. Either way you should be able to eliminate at least one of the possibilities!

I see Night Owl beat me to it and is more or less suggesting the same thing only she has already eliminated Elizabeth!!

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 04-10-12, 09:26.

Comment

Many thanks for looking Jackie and Janet.

At least that narrows it down to two Mary's! I am completely unable to find William James Wilson on the 1891 Census for Wales. I'm trying to ascertain if this William James Wilson is the same man who married Margaret Rees in Swansea in June 1893... If he is, then one of the Mary's must presumably have died between 1889 and 1893.

Holly.

Comment

Not sure if this helps but there is a child with name Gladys E Wilson and mother maiden name is SHILL.
          Swansea 11a 2249, 2nd Q 1912
          Last edited by herky; 04-10-12, 09:40.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Do you have a year of birth for William James Wilson?
            This name sounds quite Scottish to me!
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks for looking Herky.

I'm still trying, (in a roundabout way) to track down my late Grandfather, William James Wilson (1860 - 1937). He was apparantly born in Manchester, Lancs, but I've never been able to find a Birth for him. He married my Grandmother Margaret Rees in Swansea in June 1893 and they were together until her death in 1934. I'm completely unable to find him before 1893, - but this looked like a possible earlier Marriage. My subs to FMP have expired, but that Site may give more details about the 1889 Marriage.

Holly.
              Last edited by Holly; 04-10-12, 09:46.

Comment

10 feb 1889- parish church of swansea, glamorganshire.
                william james wilson age 19 (b.1870) bachelor, boiler maker (looks like maker). both of 6 bridge st.
                mary shill age 16, spinster.
                fathers- john wilson, henry shill both labourers.
                witnesses- henry shill and j watkins.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  10 feb 1889- parish church of swansea, glamorganshire.
                  william james wilson age 19 (b.1870) bachelor, boiler maker (looks like maker). both of 6 bridge st.
                  mary shill age 16, spinster.
                  fathers- john wilson, henry shill both labourers.
                  witnesses- henry shill and j watkins.
                  Many Thanks kylejustin,

I can now definately discount that Marriage!

The William James Wilson that I'm looking for would have been 29yrs old in 1889, was a House Painter, and his father was William Wilson, (deceased) Occupation: Mason. Info taken from his Marriage Cert in Swansea in June 1893.

Holly.

Comment

the marriage to margaret was there, but i don't know about him. maybe he was not in wales in 1891. and looking for william wilson b.1860 manchester brings up a lot possibilities.

Comment

there is a william j. wilson b.1855 manchester in the 1861 census with father william, but he is a joiner. the address is 35 cedar st, cheetham, manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        there is a william j. wilson b.1855 manchester in the 1861 census with father william, but he is a joiner. the address is 35 cedar st, cheetham, manchester.
                        Many thanks for looking kylejustin, - much appreciated.

It's hopeless really...such common names:-( Also, I have no siblings names for him etc, - or anything much to go on at all. My father, (son of William James Wilson) died when I was five, and as he was thirty years older than my mother, - there is no one still alive who might have known more. I keep meaning to give up...but every now and again I have another try!

Best Wishes, Holly.

Comment

Working...
                        X