Leonard Ramsault Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leonard Ramsault Key

Don't know if anyone will be able to help, but I won't know if I don't post!

I've been trying to find out who Leonard Ramsault Key's parents were, but he did not speak about his father at all, and no one that I've found can remember what his mother's name is for sure. All that is know is that my mother thinks her grandmother (LRK mother's) name was "Ely" and she thinks her maiden name started with "B". It is also known that she remarried after Gustav died.

It is also known that his fathers name was "Gustav". These people seem to have 2-3 middle names and it is not know if that was his actual first name, or if Gustav was on of the middles. (This info is from Leonard's sister's BC most likely).

This is the info I have about Leonard:

Add:
    given name: Leonard
    surname: Key
    Middle: Ramsault
    Birthplace: Nassjo, Smaland, Sweden
    Birthdate: November 2(?), 1890
    last place of residence: Manitoba, CA
    date of arrival: March 10, 1909 (Ellis island)
    age at arrival: 18-19
    ethnicity: Swedish, danish
    port of departure: Copenhagen
    port of arrival: New York
    marital status: M
    Spouse: Ethel Mary McKay

Marriage Cert:
    Name: Leonard H H Ramsault Key
    Spouse: Ethel Mary Mckay
    Marriage Date: 18 Oct. 1919
    Marriage Place: Portage LA Prairie, Manitoba, Canada

Leonard spoke 4-5 languages:
    English, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian(?)

Leonard had 1 sister named Dagmar Marie Charlotte Elize Key (married: Godden) She died in April of 1918 due to Septicemia.
    -----------------------------------
    Some other various info:

Leonard's sister Dagmar's grandson has has recently found a little more information through old passports. He has found a record that states that Dagmar was born in Berlin and that her birth was registered at the Swedish Embassy there. <---- Thinking maybe Leonard was too, and he put down Sweden as place of birth as Sweden because it was registered with the embassy.

Someone posted some years back about LRK on a Swedish forum, and it looks like someone tried to look up his records in that area, but nothing was found.

Poster Anette Rosberg: http://aforum.genealogi.se/discus/me...tml?1298719641

Dagmar and Leonard's fathers name was Gustav Key and he died sometime before Dagmar's marriage to Stanley in 1915. Their mother remarried a baltic trader from Riga.

Dagmar Key married Edward Stanley Godden (Stanley/Stan) in 1915, however they met prior to the 1911 census as Dagmar was listed as a guest to the Godden family on the census of that year. Her nationality was recorded as Denmark then as well.

Between 1911 and 1915 Stanley visited Dagmar in Russia.

Dagmar's son always believed that the reason that Dagmar was in Russia was because she was part of the Court of the Russian Imperial family as a Lady-in-Waiting. This is something we have always wanted to confirm but to date have been unable to do so.
    Last edited by buffetoflies; 04-10-12, 03:03.

so leonard came to canada from denmark, in 1909, with a 'wife' he did not marry until 1919? is he present in the 1911 canada census? if so what is his place of birth?

have you got a copy of the marriage entry? does it say anything aout the parents?

where and when did dagmar marry? do you the certificate? does her death certificate record birthplace or parents names?

if her birth was registered with the swedish embassy in berlin, surely her parents names are on the certificate? if gustav key had died before her marriage, have you looked for a death?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
      so leonard came to canada from denmark, in 1909, with a 'wife' he did not marry until 1919? is he present in the 1911 canada census?
      No, I don't know where that paragraph (the one headed "Add") comes from, but it's rather misleading. It doesn't seem to be a transcription of a passenger list.

Leonard travelled from Copenhagen to NY in 1909 (line 14 on both pages):

He gives his birthplace as Nässjö, Sweden, but he gives his previous place of residence as Nykøbing, Denmark, not Manitoba. His age is hard to read; Ancestry's transcribed it as 78 and the Ellis Island site as 8, but I think it's probably 18. He says he's single, and doesn't appear to be travelling with anyone else.

In 1916 he's living in Saskatchewan, still single, and says he took Canadian citizenship in 1912:

He joined the Canadian army in June 1916:

This is presumably where you got his marriage details from:

You could apply for a copy of the cert, but it may not have his father's name on it.

You probably already have most or all of this information, but it clarifies the picture for anyone trying to help.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 04-10-12, 12:02.

Comment

Might be worth trying here if you haven't already:

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          have you got a copy of the marriage entry? does it say anything aout the parents?

where and when did dagmar marry? do you the certificate? does her death certificate record birthplace or parents names?

if her birth was registered with the swedish embassy in berlin, surely her parents names are on the certificate? if gustav key had died before her marriage, have you looked for a death?
          I haven't got a copy of her marriage certificate. Dagmar and Stanley met in north Surrey near to Claygate (England). I know she died there as well. I would think she married there as well. She married in 1915. I don't know month/day. Her birth cert listed her fathers name as "Gustav Key".

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          No, I don't know where that paragraph (the one headed "Add") comes from, but it's rather misleading. It doesn't seem to be a transcription of a passenger list.
          The add paragraph was meant as general vital statistics. He came to Canada from Denmark alone and did not marry till several years later. Sorry about the confusion.

Comment

dagmar M.C.E. key married edward s. godden in kingston, surrey 1915. you could order the cert and see if it helps.,

Comment

i do think you should get the marriage for leonard as well.

Comment

Working...
              X