John Holland b. 1845 Somers Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Holland b. 1845 Somers Town

I believe John Holland is my great great grandfather. Some information I have say born Somers Town, Middlesex c. 1845. He married Rose Hansford in 1878 and moved to Dorset around 1860. I cannot find any background on John ie parents, census record (pre marriage) except some info says her was medically discharged from the army. Can you help.

There is a John Holland baptised at St Pancras, Camden on 25th Feb 1846 - parents John & Elizabeth (he is a carpenter), dob is recorded as 28 Feb 1845 ....abode is shown as Drummond St, which would be covered by Somers Town....

Do you have anything else at all about the family ?
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Is this the John Holland, wife Rose who was in Brentford Middlesex on the 1881 census? He gives his place of birth as Ireland.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

What does the marriage certificate of 1878 say about his father's name/occupation ?
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for quick response. I have no info of his family pre marriage. I have seen the 1881 census of born in Ireland ? and yes it appears to be the same John Holland but why Ireland as the Marriage certificate says born Somers Town.
          Marriage date is Aug 1879, fathers name Thomas Holland. I do not have sight of the full certificate so fathers occupation not known. He was still a soldier when he married and is 14 or so years older than Rose.
          The birth record could be the same John but fathers name is different.He is proving quite elusive.
          Last edited by poole37; 03-10-12, 21:11.

Comment

Originally posted by poole37 View Post
            Thanks for quick response. I have no info of his family pre marriage. I have seen the 1881 census of born in Ireland ? and yes it appears to be the same John Holland but why Ireland as the Marriage certificate says born Somers Town.
            Marriage date is Aug 1879, fathers name Thomas Holland. I do not have sight of the full certificate so fathers occupation not known. He was still a soldier when he married and is 14 or so years older than Rose.
            The birth record could be the same John but fathers name is different.He is proving quite elusive.
            Their marriage record is in ancestry; if you do not have access, I would be happy to email the image to you. The marriage was 25 August 1879 in Hounslow. His father was Thomas Holland, farmer. The marriage record does not give place of birth.
            The 1891 census gives his place of birth as Somers Town, London.
            Last edited by Joy Dean; 03-10-12, 21:32.
            Joy

Comment

Somers Town is in the parish of St Pancras.
              In 1871 John is a soldier, age 25, in Clarence Barracks, Portsmouth.
              I wonder if he did not know his father's name, maybe his father died when he was young? I think he may be with parents John and Mariah in 1851; this lady appears, I think, as Merial Ann Holland, widow, in 1861.
              Last edited by Joy Dean; 03-10-12, 22:33.
              Joy

Comment

Thanks Joy. If Merial is his mother then yes he may not know his father or remember his name. Hence Thomas on the married certificate.
                Do you know his regiment/rank, he must have met Rose whilst stationed at Plymouth and then marrying in Middlesex. I note the age difference of 14 or so years.
                My mothers family are from Dorset and John may be the start of these Hollands there, as they later moved close to Rose's home town.
                Please send any more info.

Comment

Originally posted by poole37 View Post
                  Thanks Joy. If Merial is his mother then yes he may not know his father or remember his name. Hence Thomas on the married certificate.
                  Do you know his regiment/rank, he must have met Rose whilst stationed at Plymouth and then marrying in Middlesex. I note the age difference of 14 or so years.
                  My mothers family are from Dorset and John may be the start of these Hollands there, as they later moved close to Rose's home town.
                  Please send any more info.
                  If you don't already subscribe to ancestry, I would take out a free 14 day trial because there are some public trees on there with more information about the family.
                  Joy

Comment

Findmypast have Army Service records for a John Holland born 1845 Somerstown - regiment 77th Foot.
                    Elaine

Comment

I am now subscribing to ancestry and have found some useful information.
                      John Holland is in 77 Regiment at Portsmouth and lists same regiment on marriage certificate (now in Middlesex).
                      My grandfather Albert Edward was the first of his and Rose's children to be born in Dorset.
                      Sadly 2 of Albert's brothers (my great uncles), Henry (Harry) & John died in WW1, they are honoured by a plaque in Tyneham church.
                      A third brother, Charlton Holland died at sea in 1944 (ship HMS Mahratta torpedoed by a UBoat), he is honoured on the war memorial in Plymouth.

Thanks for your help.
                      I am now moving on to my grandmothers side of the family, she is Ada Maud Matthews.

Comment

Hello, I have also traced my Great Grandfather John Holland who married Rose (Rosa) Ballam Hansford, to Somers Town, Middlesex (now part of St Pancras. London.) They were married in St Pauls Church at Hounslow. I believe we may be tracing the same people?. Regards. Kay Ridout (nee Runyard) email address removed
                        Last edited by Jill on the A272; 12-06-20, 05:52. Reason: email address removed

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Kay, I have removed your email address in line with forum policy, the original post is quite old and the original poster has not been on the forum for some years but if they have notifications switched on you may get a response.

Comment

Working...
                          X