Links to Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Links to Ancestry

When my Ancestry sub expired recently I decided to give FindMyPast a try instead. Now when I click on an Ancestry link posted on this forum it sometimes brings up the census image (not only 1881) and other times just the subscription page. Does anyone know why? Is there perhaps a way of copying a link so that it will work for non-subscribers?
    Last edited by webwiz; 03-10-12, 13:36.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

I am suprised if it brings up the link if you dont subscribe ? never heard of that before?

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
      When my Ancestry sub expired recently I decided to give FindMyPast a try instead. Now when I click on an Ancestry link posted on this forum it sometimes brings up the census image (not only 1881) and other times just the subscription page. Does anyone know why? Is there perhaps a way of copying a link so that it will work for non-subscribers?
      Not that I know of Webwiz, not unless you specify that you haven't got a sub and if they could be so kind as to provide a transcript, or provide an image for you. [being an ancestry member I am not sure if you can still search their records and get a 'taster' of what is there] like a basic list of those on the census perhaps?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

There are some databases that have a free index, not just the 1881 census - but I think it is highly unlikely that you would be able to view any images if you don't subscribe.
        Elaine

Comment

didn't happen to be a free weekend or week for some promotion was it? the u.s. census, australian bmd's and military records have all been free lately.

Comment

I'm not a member at the moment but can still see some items that are not padlocked but only the transcription.

I am very suprised but can access all 1911 census including the original document.

I am happy with anything I can find for free!!
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Yes Lin, the ones that have worked for me so far are all 1911. I suspect this is a bug which they will fix when they cotton on. Surprisingly when I tried to demonstrate this by copying a link which worked from another post to this one I found that it did not work when I clicked on it in my post even though it works in the original post.
              People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
              Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

I 'think' that the 1911 is free at the moment on Ancestry.. so that could be why you are still seeing it.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The 1911 census on Ancestry has been free for a few weeks now... don't know how much longer they will keep this open though.
                  Craig

Comment

Yes that's right, the 1911 Census has been free on Ancestry since August and the offer runs until 2nd November I think. Here's the Ancestry link with full details:

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                    X