Capital respite...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital respite...

I think is when someone is sent to Australia for example instead of the death penalty- can anyone tell me a) if that's correct and b) what was the likely crime?

Thank you

this explains the different sentences

Comment

Here's a site which describes types of crime and punishment quite well. http://www.schools.bedfordshire.gov....conditions.htm
      Have you heard the saying "might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb"? The death penalty was in use for sheep stealing. In the 1830s a relative of mine was caught having stolen a sheep, his sentence was to be transported for life.
      Last edited by JudithM; 02-10-12, 23:10.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        Here's a site which describes types of crime and punishment quite well. http://www.schools.bedfordshire.gov....conditions.htm
        Have you heard the saying "might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb"? The death penalty was in use for sheep stealing. In the 1830s a relative of mine was caught having stolen a sheep, his sentence was to be transported for life.
        One of mine was sentenced to transportation for stealing a silk handkerchief!! In the end he didn't go as they were just stopping transportation but he had to make his way back from the hulk on the Thames in London to Tewkesbury 124 miles with no means of transport other than his legs and feet!

Margaret
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 03-10-12, 10:42.

Comment

i personally don't have convict ancestors, but my cousins do, and they have ones convicted of counterfeit money production to polygamy and stealing silk handkerchiefs. whatever excuse was needed to get rid of the 'trash' is the way it was i think.

there was an article about convicts in the herald sun in victoria recently, the man interviewed learned his ancestor was convicted of stealing a watch, and transported. even though the owner of the watch said he did not do it, and 6 witnesses testified he was at the horse races on the day of question!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            i personally don't have convict ancestors, but my cousins do, and they have ones convicted of counterfeit money production to polygamy and stealing silk handkerchiefs. whatever excuse was needed to get rid of the 'trash' is the way it was i think.

there was an article about convicts in the herald sun in victoria recently, the man interviewed learned his ancestor was convicted of stealing a watch, and transported. even though the owner of the watch said he did not do it, and 6 witnesses testified he was at the horse races on the day of question!
            Yes, I expect it was to do with the mood of the magistrate that day and whether he felt the person in the 'dock' looked shifty or not! sometimes was the one chance to get rid of some one who had been sailing close the the wind in terms of criminality.

Rough justice I'm afraid !
            Margaret

Comment

There was also a strong drive to populate the New World and young healthy men were needed to work the unbroken land. It neatly solved two problems - no need to feed and clothe a "criminal" out of the rates over here, they could be sent to Australia which would help to ensure the population was of erm, good British stock, hahaha.

You notice they rarely transported old criminals. They would not have been any use for either breeding or working.

OC

Comment

they disliked the catholic irish presence here in australia, so the local officials tried to get more protestant english or scottish families out here. and if the families were to have an assisted paid voyage, they had to be of a certain age, my scots rellies all lied about their ages so they could come out.

but when you think of it, about half of the convicts must have been from ireland.

Comment

Working...
                X