Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another missing family

Hi

It doesn't seem to be my lucky week with transcriptions in FMP. This time it is the 1861 census

I am looking for Eliza Jane Craggs (born 1860, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire). Based on the 1871 census I am expecting to find the following people (or at least some of them, or possibly more children):

CRAGGS, John Head M 33 1838 Devon
    CRAGGS, Eliza Wife F 40 1831 Devon
    CRAGGS, Bessey Daughter F 12 1859 Gloucestershire
    CRAGGS, Eliza Jane Daughter F 10 1861 Gloucestershire

I have spent most of tonight searching various combinations of people and spellings with no luck, but looking at Ancestry (I think when my FMP sub runs out I might change based on this weeks luck) it looks like Ancestry may have the census record as I can see the following

Name: Eliza Jane Craggs
    Mother: Eliza Craggs
    Other: Ellen L and Bessy
    Birth: abt 1860, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England
    Residence: 1861 - Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England

I don't suppose that one of you could be kind enough to let me know if the Ancestry record is the one that I am looking for, and let me have the census ref number so I can find what random transcription has been used.

Thank you again in advance
    Geri
    Last edited by gst2010; 29-09-12, 22:49. Reason: change formating

Oh bother I thought I'd found them then realised I'd loooked at 1871 which you already have.
    Last edited by JudithM; 29-09-12, 22:28.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

so did I Judith lol got so excited too

Comment

that father is a Henry ?
        RG9 Piece 1798 Folio 54 Page 1

Comment

thats odd cant find it on FMP

Comment

Very strange ... I don't seem to be able to get to that census reference on FMP

Comment

I tried the name too and that didnt appear either? wonder if its missing on there ?

Comment

Thanks for the link.

I think that there is a possibility it is the same family - Eliza, Eliza Jane and Bessy are the right ages, and their places of birth tie in with later census information.

I wonder if John and Henry are the same person, or possibly brothers? The occupation of cordwinder(?) is the same for Henry (1861) and John (1871), as is the place of birth (Bideford, Devon)

Comment

"Cordwinder " sounds very close to "Cordwainer", which is a high quality shoemaker (deriving from Cordoban leather, deemed to be the best quality).

Of course, it's not impossible that the occupation is correctly described, because you have to twist the fibres to get them to grip together if you're asking any kind of thread/rope.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'd just add that Glos BMD http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/MainMenu.aspx shows that Bessey and Eliza J were the only two Craggs births registered in Gloucestershire, and their mother's maiden name was Bowey.

scuda
                    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi Geri,

have you tried looking for George BUBB b. 1804 painswick, Glos

Emma Bubb 42
                      George Bubb 18
                      Eliza Bubb 14
                      Levi Bubb 11
                      Martha Bubb 7
                      Harriet Bubb 5

Henry & family are lodging with this family in 1861.

Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 1798; Folio: 54; Page: 1; GSU roll: 542870.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Christine,
                        Thanks for the details about cordwainers - shoes does sound like a good fit as Eliza (his wife) is described as a Boot Binder.

scuda,
                        Thanks for the Glos BMD link, I keep forgetting that the various counties each have their own BMD sites.

Darksecretz,
                        The BUBB family appear to be missing in 1861 on FMP too - I have sent FMP an email to try and find out why I can't see that particular page of the census - It is very strange!

Geri

Comment

Geri,

I guess it could be a page that they haven't scanned for some reason, though like you have said, it does seem odd that you can't even find it via a ref search. I hope that they manage to sort it for you.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

might take them a while, but they will put it up.

Comment

Originally posted by gst2010 View Post
                              Thanks for the details about cordwainers - shoes does sound like a good fit as Eliza (his wife) is described as a Boot Binder.
                              More likely to be a Book binder. Boot binder doesn't ring any bells as a likely occupation.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X