Searcing info on William Nolan from Co. Roscommon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searcing info on William Nolan from Co. Roscommon

Hello, I am trying to trace William. His mother was Catherine Nolan, husband John Nolan (apparently Catherine's maiden name was also Nolan). William's other siblings were John, Bridget and Marianne. Sadly I do not have dates of births for any of this family but on the 1901 Irish Census Catherine is given as 50, William as 19, John as 18, Marianne as 20 and Bridget 17. So far as I know they were all born in Co. Roscommon and it is thought that Catherine and John married in or around 1878 could plus or minus a few years either side of this date. Am trying to help a work colleague whose ancestors these are. Catherine's husband John is not shown in the 1901 Census albeit Catherine is shown as married but in the 1911 Census she is shown as a widow.

He knows what happened to all the siblings apart from William although he doesn't know dates etc.

He says that William also known as Bill and Willy left Ireland and travelled to Australia, not sure when but he believes not long after 1901. Also not known if he travelled from Ireland or came to England to sail. I have found a few William Nolan's on Find My Past sailing to Australia but have no subscriptions to see if one of these if the William sought. My colleague believes the ages of the children in the 1901 Irish Census are slightly out so he believes William was born possibly around 1880 in Co. Roscommon.

I have now found the rest of the family bar William in the 1911 Irish Census albeit their ages have been tampered with, hence my having trouble finding them.

I have also posted this message on the Ireland Board on Ancestry.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If this is not the right board to post this message on would someone please be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Kind regards

Kathryn
    Last edited by kathrynbryant; 29-09-12, 17:22.

This seems to be the right board for your query.

Irish records can be difficult both because foiling the British officialdom made for good sport, and because many records were lost during the independence fighting in the early C20th.

The Australian end of things... Have you tried looking at Australian resources? They have strong privacy rules, so censuses aren't much available, but there are electoral rolls, the Trove newspaper archive, several online State Archives as well as the National Archive, and some State BMD sites.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine for your time and help. I will try an look at the electoral rolls for Australia but hope that someone is able to find something this end. I expect it also really difficult as I do not have the family's birth dates etc.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Comment

Kathryn,

May be of interest, email received:

Rosommon Records Now Available

The Irish Family History Foundation's Online Research Service (ORS) are pleased to announce the availability of an additional 17,000 Birth and Death records from the Roscommon Heritage & Genealogy Company in Co. Roscommon.

See the Roscommon Sources List for full details.

Just go to the following site and login
        Online Irish ancestral Birth, Death and Marriage records for Co. Roscommon. Genealogy research center - Roscommon Heritage & Genealogy Company

We now have over 19 million records online.

Remember that you can purchase and spend your credit at any of the IFHF online centres.

Please check out our interactive map to see which centres are currently live.

If you have any questions or comments please check our Online Help and if this does not provide an answer, then do not hesitate to contact us or one or the county centres.

Yours sincerely
        IFHF
        Irish Family History Foundation, Main St. Newbridge, Co. Kildare., Email: enquiries@rootsireland.ie

Carol

Comment

Lots of Nolans born in Boyle district, Roscommon. Could they be yours?

There are other threads that discuss retrieving civil reg records.

Seems to me that rootsireland just announced release of more Roscommon records, but I'm not sure - mine aren't from there, so I didn't read the email

Comment

Hello, thank you for your time and help and the information provided. On the 1901 Irish Census it gives the following:-

Catherine Nolan (apparently her maiden name was also Nolan) aged 50 born Co. Roscommon. Her husband John is not there. Catherine is given as married. In the 1911 Census Catherine is given as a widow.

William Nolan aged 19
            John Nolan aged 18
            Marianne (which I think could also be Mary Anne) aged 20 and
            Bridget aged 17

All born Co. Roscommon.

My colleague is not sure that all the ages are correct, if not they would only be a year or two out but this is definitely the family.

Kind regards

Kathryn
            Last edited by kathrynbryant; 29-09-12, 15:52.

Comment

I have an Honor Nolan married to James Tubridy, wonder if there's a connection?
              Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Hi Sarah-Louise, not sure if there's any connection at the moment. Am waiting to speak to my colleague on Monday to double check a couple of things and I will ask him about Honor. At the moment I'm concentrating on William but if there is any connection then I'll let you know. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks you, I've never really thought about the wives much, well apart from one that's a puzzler. Thanks again.
                  Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Hi, sorry to bother you. Following your message about the Nolans born in Boyle, I was messing about with searching and came across the husband John Nolan. I then find him in an Institution in England but can't remember what year as I then found him in a Census here. Have been racking my brains and am wondering if you can help with this at all. I should have saved the find. I can't remember what I entered in the boxes or anything but all I can remember is that it came up with John's name and not sure if it was his birth or what but underneath it gave the year of an English Census which I then looked up on Ancestry. He was in an Institution in Derbyshire. This is doing my head in now. I am sure John married Catherine in 1875 in Strokestown, Ireland but I didn't get the information from that part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Next time if I find something I will save it.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Comment

I liked the Boyle births because them seemed to match the children you've mentioned:
                      William: https://www.familysearch.org/search/...r%3A1880-1883~
                      John: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FB4B-32S
                      Marianne: not spotting it
                      Bridget: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FB46-BZN

Catherine Nolan, Strokestown marriage: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY3N-M4S
                      John Nolan, Strokestown marriage: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY3F-PQS (so I think this is your couple's marriage)

My ancestry sub isn't active, so I can't check there. There are numerous John Nolans born about 1850, Ireland in the 1901 census, so I don't know how to pinpoint any one of them.

Just like freebmd provides an index to the registrations, but not the actual registrations, familysearch has provided an index to many Irish civil registrations. There have been threads on FTF about requesting Irish Civil Reg records. I haven't had to do that, so I'm not familiar with it. I thought RootsIreland provided transcripts, but I'm not certain.

Best wishes,
                      Sarah
                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 01-10-12, 01:40.

Comment

The John Nolan you found in England was on the 1891 census, he is Derby Union, Uttoxeter New Road, Rowditch, Derby
                        He is a widower (so maybe not yours) a general labourer born 1831 in Roscommon
                        Piece 2740 Folio 60 Page 18

Comment

Could he have gone overseas to try to earn a living? Could William have gone there to join him?

Comment

Hi, my work colleague has just given me a date of birth for one of William's siblings. Bridge Nolan born 17 February 1880 and died in 1973. He said the birthplace was Elphin which I've never heard of and haven't been able to locate the birth. Not sure if it comes under another town or something. Sadly I do not understand all the parishes, registration districts etc. Now John Nolan the father, apparently was in a Lunatic Asylum in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway not sure when but as we know his wife Catherine in the 1901 Irish Census is given as married and in the 1911 Irish Census she is a widow. Hopefully my colleague will have some more information in a day or so but thought I would post what he has for now.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Comment

Comment

Looking at that it seems Elphin is not too far from Boyle so makes those births found earlier look good. Could be Elphin came under the jurisdiction of Boyle for the purposes of BMDs.

Margaret

Comment

Hi, I thought it right that all the Nolan children listed in Boyle are the same family but my colleague says Bridget was definitely born 17 February 1880 whereas on family search Bridget's registration is given as 1883. I am sure that all the Boyle Nolans are the right family but obviously we now know one of the dates is very wrong.

I thank everyone for their continued time, help and support in this matter.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Comment

Hello, I now have William' date of birth, actually there are two:-

Civil Birth Record shows

William Nolan
                                    Date of birth 7 February 1881
                                    Date of baptism 15 March 1881
                                    Adresss Lisnaboll
                                    Parish/District Ballinameen
                                    County Roscommon, Ireland
                                    Father John Nolan
                                    Mother Catherine Nolan

Church Baptism Record

William Nolan
                                    Date of birth 12 February 1881
                                    Date of baptism 13 February 1881
                                    Address Skea/Skeagh
                                    Parish/District Elphin
                                    County Roscommon, Ireland

Mother Catherine Nolan
                                    Father John Nolan

Now William shows in the 1901 Irish Census but he is not in the 1911 Census.

My colleague knows he went to Australia. We are not sure when or now he got there. Not sure if there were ships sailing from Ireland or he would have had to come to England to sail.

Not sure if anyone could please find out for me and if now we have his dates of birth (these two records are definitely one in the same person) and when he died but of course it is not known which part of Australia he went to.

Any help as ever would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Comment

how do you know he went to australia? is it rumour, or do you have evidence such as a letter or something?

Comment

Hi, sorry just in from work. My colleague was told by his grandmother. William had some disagreement with the family, they didn't want him to go to Australia but he went. He did communicate with some of the family for a while but sadly the letters have long been destroyed otherwise we would know which part of Australia William was in.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Comment

Working...
                                        X