1891 Census and Missing Great Grandmother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 Census and Missing Great Grandmother

Hi, I am new to this forum and would like to say hello to everyone. What a fantiastic place this is!

I began my family history research some years ago and then let it go for a while as I seemed to hit so many brick walls. However the 1911 census started me off again.

Although I have found my Great Grandmother in 1871, 1881, marriage in 1895, 1901 and 1911, I still cannot find her in 1891. I have tried name variations, everything I can think of, so would really appreciate any suggestions please. I believe she would have been a servant, as in 1881 and on her marriage certificate. She did move around abit though, born in Cambridge, married in Hampshire, and died in Sussex. There is no doubt about these events, they are carefully checked out.

It is possible that her employers just didn't write down her details correctly, maybe didn't bother to find out her place of birth etc? Have others come across huge errors?
    I would just love to know how she met her husband, my Great Grandfather He is in Hampshire, same place that the marriage took place, in 1891, but GGM is not around.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Welcome to FTF!

It's even suggested that employers were not always bothered about the accuracy of the info entered for mere servants... Sometimes they would change their names on the basis that (e.g.) they liked the Tweenie to be called, say, Mary; the girl's actual name wasn't considered important.

In such a context, other inaccuracies would be likely to flourish.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-09-12, 16:08.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello

welcome to our forum!.

if you would like to post some details for her, perhaps we might have a look to see what we can find. [not saying that you haven't looked, as I see that you have tried numerous ways, just sometimes, many eyes do help]
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi, thank you. Her name is Hannah Bowers, born 1866, although I have found her birth listed as Hannah Bowes in Cambridge. She is there in 1871 with the rest of her family. I have searched for Anna, and Bower etc. There are a lot of Hannah Bowers around, I found one born in Huddersfield, but I am sure that is not her. I suspect her details are incorrect.

It's just bugging me :D

Comment

Sorry but not getting anywhere.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks for trying :-)

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

How about this one

Edna

Comment

Hi, well it could be, the details don't fit but who knows

I appreciate you taking the time, but my gut feeling is, its not the one.

Comment

What about this one on Ancestry as Hannas Bowers a housemaid in Portland Place, Marylebone

RG10, piece 1592, folio 34, page 12

Jackie

Comment

;D Oh my goodness, yes, you found her! Thank you so much!

I can't believe that didn't come in the all times I have repeated my searched. Thank you!

Comment

Pleased its her
                      Welcome to the forum by the way
                      Jackie

Comment

Just as a follow up to this, I thought you might be interested to know that I have discovered how Hannah met her future husband. They both worked for the same family, who owned more than one property, but in different parts of the country. Hannah must have travelled between the two and gave up her life as a housemaid, maybe she was promoted along the line, to be a wife and mother. ;)

I love the idea that we can piece their lives together. I always wondered how a little girl, daughter of a ag lab, on one side of the country met and married a gardener on the other side.

Comment

Oh, that's really satisfying. It's so rewarding to be able to make sense of something that seems so odd otherwise.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh, well done - we love it when the finer details fall into place.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                            X