people of medieval scotland 1093-1314

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• people of medieval scotland 1093-1314

URL funnily spells 'poms', scotlandspeople think this site may help 'fill in the gaps of the family tree'.......most people have difficulty getting to the early 19th century, so i wonder how records from the 11th-14th centuries are supposed to help.....then again, if you have nobility....

Thanks for the link, kyle.

As it happens, I've just been reading about how impossible it is to take Highland ancestry back before the 1700s as everyone changed their name to suit the circumstance of the day!

OC

Comment

The history of Scotland TV series that Neil Oliver did last year emphasised the turmoil in the country over many centuries. There is a family tale (unproven so far) that my OH's forebears were supporters of Bonnie Prince Charlie and changed their name from McDonnell to Mitchell in 1745. Doesn't explain how the earliest definite sighting is circa 1800 in Sunderland.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

i think lowlands ancestry is the easiest to research, as those records usually go well into the 18th century, but the highlands seem to have been a place of derelict respect for the law. most highlands records appear to start in the 1820's. though i have a parish that begins mid 18th century, it just happens nobody decided to use it.

Comment

Working...
        X