Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker 2011

I bought FTM 2011 yesterday.
    I started putting all the information I have into the programme but when I add children of a couple they don't show, only one child at a time will show. I'd much rather see the entire family.

What am I doing wrong or is it the software?

have you used FTM before at all?

I use FTM 2012 but I don't have a problem with it. [i'm not saying that to be awkward] :smilee:

I don't mean to sound like a knowitall cos I don't but how are you adding the children? ie are you using the 'attach child' part? or once you have the parents in front of you, do you see some blank lines below them? if you do then click on the line, it should say 'add child' and after you have clicked a box will appear for you to insert the childs name/dob/etc..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

for example this is what i see

Last edited by Darksecretz; 27-09-12, 19:14.
      Julie

Comment

Sorry to hijack this post. But looking at your screenshot Julie, I see you have letters for the children under the LDS heading. I use FTM 2012 and don't have that heading or lettering. Is there something I've been missing and what are they for please?

Thanks in advance,

Sue :-)

Edit: I've almost answered my own question - found a setting in the options menu to show the LDS heading with the lettering. But I don't really understand what it's for :o
        Last edited by Crafty Sue; 30-09-12, 19:13.
        Sue

Comment

that makes two of us then Sue...lol I think its cos I have added info from the LDS and have it set to show them,

I do need to sit down and have a play with it, I know that I don't use FTM to its full potential, I have only just begun to dare play with 'sync' [though I did create a separate tree and use that to play with]

though also my FTM tree on my puter is the main 'bones' and my Ancestry Tree is also a thinned out tree , that I sync with on my phone.
          Julie

Comment

Thanks for your reply Julie.

I must admit that I don't use it to it's full potential either, although I've always used FTM starting out with the WDYTYA version, I seem to learn something new each time I use it. I've not yet used the 'sync' as I've a modified tree on Ancestry and didn't want to mess that up.

I've been looking through the help menu about the LDS setting and still didn't really understand.. lol, so I've opted not to show that information. :o

Sue

Comment

I know that feeling, Elaine in Spain knows it inside out.. [FTM] and I have been using FTM way back when it was version 3 by Broderbund... way back in 1995!
              I have used quite a few different versions and thought that 2005 was my Favourite, though I now use ftm 2012 for 64bit windows, [had to upgrade as I had a new puter]

I am slowly finding my way round it, though I do struggle sometimes trying to remember which bits go where!..
              Julie

Comment

I wouldn't use anything else now either, it did take me a while to sort everything out when I upgraded from the older version to the new layout though.

I've tended to try and find a way to make it 'fit' the way I want to record my research. I wanted to have a list of all the occupations & who they related to but couldn't see a way do it. So I enter a new occupation fact and date & instead of recording it in the description box I use the place box but put a dash before the occupation ( - blacksmith). This makes them all appear at the top of the place names list, which I can click on and see how many & who were blacksmiths, for example.
                Not sure if I've explained myself very well :o

Sue

Comment

Working...
                X