Edward Walsh transported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Walsh transported

Hi, Charles Moore & Edward Walsh were convicted of murdering my ggg uncle & aunt in 1853. Charles was hung but Edward Walsh sentence was commuted to transportation for life.

I cant find him in the convict records for Australia, could he be transported elsewhere?

Cheers:D

http://foundersandsurvivors.org/ kylejustin added this site this week, see if he is there

Edna

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Hi were your GGG Aunt and Uncle Mr & Mrs Blackboun, if so Chales Moore was hung on 09/04/1853 and this all happened in Staffordshire. If it is the right on let me know and I will do a search for Edward Walsh, liz

Comment

I assume you know that there is a book about these murders.
          I can't find anything on transportation on ancestry - no problem finding my own ggg grandad's papers.
          Will have another look but is it possible that he died whilst awaiting transportation?
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I thought transportation had finished more or less, by this time and he would have served his time in prison here.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              I thought transportation had finished more or less, by this time and he would have served his time in prison here.

OC
              Actually OC I have just been looking at some records and they seem to drop off at about 1851 and some earlier.
              Perhaps he was kept in UK so worth a look for a UK death.
              Do we know his year of birth?
              Last edited by herky; 27-09-12, 19:43.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

The criminal registers on Ancestry show a Zachariah Bullock was also sentenced to transportation at the same Assizes session and as its an unusual name I searched for him to see where he ended up. The Queensland State Library Archives show that he was transported on 2nd Feb 1855 to Western Australia aboard The Stag as one of 225 convicts. I can't find any record of Edward Walsh being on that ship but it shows that transportations were still taking place

Jackie

Comment

THE CONVICT EDWARD WALSH .
                  The Morning Post (London, England), Thursday, May 19, 1853; pg. 7

Sentence commuted to transportation for life but can't find anything as to where he went after this
                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you all. Their names were John & Jane Blackburn & they died in Ash Flats farm in Stafford. I did visit the William Salt library in Stafford yesterday & manged to read the book. TBH I am doubtful as to whether the accused men were actually guilty despite "confession". I also found a curious story about John finding silver treasure in tutbury that had been lost in the 1300s & thats why he had been murdered.

Edward Walsh was born in Ireland & was lodging in Staffordshire in 1851.

Thank you again X

Comment

Found this as good list for ships

Community driven database of convicts brought to Australia between 1787 and 1867.

but searched 1853 and 1854 but can't see him
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you Elaine X

Comment

Working...
                        X