John (Jack) Raymond born 1866

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John (Jack) Raymond born 1866

John (Jack) Raymond born 1866, died Bayswater Australia 1957. Had sister Elizabeth Toby also lived in Bayswater. Jack Had 2 daughters, Beattie and Elsie. trying to find information about his parents . Jack's sister was the mother of my Grandmother Lillian Toby Clapham.

Hi Renshi

What country was he born in please.

Comment

Hello Renshi

welcome to the forum, I do hope that you find some help,

I must mention that we do not permit living peoples names to be put on threads, if you know that the person is living and you would like some help then you can state that the person is living and you can ask members to PM (private message) you about the information on the forum. Alternately, should the research be of a sensitive nature then we can move a thread to a members only area. (as Research Requests, is cached by google)
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

you have to give more information. is john raymond the full name or is his surname toby? what dates for elizabeth or her daughter do you have? where was john born? who did he marry? when were his daughters born? i assume you have elizabeth's marriage or death certs, what are her parents names?

Comment

John Raymond

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          you have to give more information. is john raymond the full name or is his surname toby? what dates for elizabeth or her daughter do you have? where was john born? who did he marry? when were his daughters born? i assume you have elizabeth's marriage or death certs, what are her parents names?
          Thank you all for your comments. John Raymond is the full name. He and his sister, Elizabeth Raymond my great grandmother were raised in George Muller Orphanage in Bristol England. Nothing is known of their parents by the family. In contacting the orphanage, Elizabeth Raymond came up with different siblings and no John Raymond. But we are certain of them being in an orphanage and because we have a statuette from George Muller Orphanage said to be given to her on discharge we are confident of this. So I am trying to go at this from a different angle. John Raymond's descendants may have more information. Here is what I know:
          John Raymond- born 1866 possibly Gloustershire England, died 15 June 1957 in Baywater Western Australia
          daughter Elsie- sons Roger and Paul both married late 1966 or early 1967
          daughter Beatttie Or Beatrice- children John, Frank, Joan, Nora
          John Raymond's sister Elizabeth Raymond married Thomas J. Toby who immigrated to western Australia in 1910-1912
          It is beleived that John Raymond immigrated at the same time.
          I have cemetary certificates for John Raymond, Elizabeth Raymond-Toby and Thomas Toby.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Renshi View Post
            In contacting the orphanage, Elizabeth Raymond came up with different siblings and no John Raymond. But we are certain of them being in an orphanage and because we have a statuette from George Muller Orphanage said to be given to her on discharge we are confident of this.
            Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
            Hi Renshi,

do you know what the 'other' siblings names were that were in the orphanage with Elizabeth please.

I have found a census from 1871 listing a John and Elizabeth, do you have access to Ancestry at all? [and presumably you have any passenger info of their immigration]
            Julie

Comment

just parking these here:

1851:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1851&indiv=1
              Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1948; Folio: 170; Page: 30; GSU roll: 87348.

1861:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7619
              Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 1723; Folio: 17; Page: 28; GSU roll: 542857.

1871: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=1032042
              Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 2534; Folio: 50; Page: 4; GSU roll: 835260

am just going to have a look to see if I can find them in the later census.

do you have Elizabeths marriage certificate at all? this should name her father and his occupation.
              Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-09-12, 17:09. Reason: adding census
              Julie

Comment

1871 Bristol
                Norah Raymond b Cork 1823 widowed
                6 children (all born Bristol) including an Elizabeth b1860 & John b 1871

Could this be them? Would date of birth be right for your Elizabeth?

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

On the Trove site, there is an entry for John Raymond and Miss Elsie Raymond arriving in Western Australia on SS Orama abt 15 Dec 1924, as a nominated immigrant. The 1925 electoral rolls show John Raymond, farmer at Balingup (a small town in the Sth West of the State) which is consistent with the records I have found for his daughter beatrice, who married Francis A MAUGER in 1921.

The death record for John Raymond states his parents were James and Honora.

I looked for his family in 1911 and found him living at 57 Avarn Rd Tooting, with wife Alice and both daughters, born in Bristol. He was a laboratory assistant for a chemist manufactuary.

I found a marriage to Alice Powls 19 Jul 1897 in Wandsworth, no parents mentioned, but the date fits in well with the birth of the first daughter Beatrice in 1899 in Battersea .

Looking further back, in 1871 there is a Raymond family, headed by the widowed Norah,48, b. Cork Ireland with the following children;
                  Ellen,16; Agnes,14;Elizabeth,11; Emma,10;Wiliam,7;John,4; all born Bristol

James Raymond,31,house painter,b. Crediton
                  Norah Raymond,wife,35,charwoman,b. Cork Ire
                  Kate Raymond,dau,9,scholar,b.Bristol
                  Ellen Raymond,dau,6
                  Agnes Raymond,dau,4
                  Elizabeth Raymond,2
                  James Raymond,2 months
                  Emma Raymond, 2 months....all born Bristol

Beverley

Comment

Beatrice MAUGER nee Raymond had four children (won't post here as they may still be living)
                    Elsie Nora Raymond married Cecil Geoffrey BRINKLOW and their only child, Geoffrey Raymond BRINKLOW died 16 Feb 1935 aged about two and a half years.

Beverley

Comment

1881 Leominster, Herefordshire

John Raymond b Bristol 1865
                      errand boy, with George Watkins (baker) and family

A possibility?

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1891 in barracks at Aldershot, serving with the Royal Engineers ?????

There is a matching army service record - born Bristol 1871, attested 1890 (age is out)

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

this might be why the children were placed in orphanage

Name: Ann Nora Raymond
                          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1825
                          Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1871
                          Age at Death: 46
                          Registration district: Bristol
                          Inferred County: Gloucestershire
                          Volume: 6a
                          Page: 35

i'll see if I can find James'

Name: James Raymond
                          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1824
                          Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1866
                          Age at Death: 42
                          Registration district: Bristol
                          Inferred County: Gloucestershire
                          Volume: 6a
                          Page: 40
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-09-12, 17:11.
                          Julie

Comment

Thomas James TOBY married Elizabeth RAYMOND 3Q 1887 St George's Hanover Square. Haven't yet picked up the date of emigration *off to look on Trove*

Beverley

Comment

there is this Ancestry tree too

and another tree

Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-09-12, 17:33.
                              Julie

Comment

John's wife Alice died 29 Nov 1923.....explains his emigration, I guess (details on Probate in Ancestry

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                                  John's wife Alice died 29 Nov 1923.....explains his emigration, I guess (details on Probate in Ancestry
                                  The soldier mentioned above in my posts #11 & #12 married an Alice Powles in 1897.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1901 Battersea Wandsworth

Alice Raymond b Lambeth 1873
                                    Beatrice b Battersea 1899

Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...nSearchResults

Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The John Raymond / Alice Powles marriage is on Ancestry

He was aged 26, a labourer, father James Raymond deceased, a painter. Alice Powles aged 24 father John David Powles deceased, also a painter
                                        Jackie

Comment

Working...
                                        X