Disease in the East Indies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disease in the East Indies

I've found the military records for an indirect ancestor, James Cumming, on FMP.com...

I've managed to identify the first two diseases as 'sealices', and the fourth one as gonorrhoea. The 12th one is ague. I wonder whether anyone can make sense of any of the other diseases listed? If you can make out the treatments as well that would be a bonus!

Thanks for taking a look
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Febris Int is fever for which Quinine was prescribed. Ague Tert is short for Ague Tertian and Ague Quot is short for Ague Quotidian (I remember this from Shakespeare if you google you'll get a better explanation)

Third one is diarrhoea.
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 25-09-12, 18:49.

Comment

Scabies, not sealice. Treatment sulphur.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
        Febris Int is fever for which Quinine was prescribed. Ague Tert is short for Ague Tertian and Ague Quot is short for Ague Quotidian (I remember this from Shakespeare if you google you'll get a better explanation). Third one is diarrhoea.
        You know your stuff! - thanks.

Originally posted by OC
        Scabies, not sealice. Treatment sulphur. OC[
        Thanks OC - I did wonder how he caught the sealice!
        Kind regards,
        William

Comment

10 is simple cont'd fever

11, remittant? fever

12, ague

I think that the last bit is 'Revaccinated' in red pen.
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 27-09-12, 10:07.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie.

So lots of fever! Probably recurrent malaria.

What puzzles me now is how he did so well in later life - he was a farm labourer when he signed up with the army...but when he left he was an innkeeper and then in later life he was a wine and spirit merchant. That's a puzzle I'll probably not solve.

Thanks for all your help!
            Kind regards,
            William

Comment

you're welcome William,..

maybe re his occupations when he left he got well connected with people in the beer/wine trade? [or maybe the sea going life just didn't agree with him and he put some of it on :conf:]
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Quinine is a recognised treatment for malaria.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It was fairly common for ex servicemen to "buy a pub", I think - they would have saved a tidy sum usually.

We tend to think of the Victorian age as being one of poverty and oppression but in fact it was a the best time of all for a working man to make good, there were so many opportunities to be taken. My 2 x GGF and his three brothers were born into abject poverty in 1860s inner Manchester. They all worked very hard and by the turn of the century, were definitely middle class and very comfortably off.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X