Grandfathers missing Army uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandfathers missing Army uniform

I am spending some time reading through once again my Grandfathers very colourful army records.
    Am having trouble reading the list of clothing he sold ahem (lost)
    seems there are two lists? so far I have
    Pair Drawers 3.2
    Shirt 7.0
    2 pair socks 3.4
    Foot Dressing 09p
    second list.jpg
    anybody read the rest thanks

Is it Razor 1.0 (under pair of drawers)?
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

ooh it could be Sue thanks have been giggling away at his antics, he was such a quiet man you would never believe his records are his

Comment

Clasp knife under F dresseing (that will be a field dressing)

Comment

oh thanks Jill thought it meant a bandage and wondered why he had it ?

Comment

I think all soldiers carried them in case of injury to themselves or to help others, a bit of basic first aid.

Comment

thanks again Jill he was certainly a character

Comment

This reminded me of a letter from grandad to grandma, sent when he was about to be demobbed in 1918 (excuse lack of punctuation as I've copied it just as he wrote it):
                "..... we have had a letter from one of the chaps that have gone away and he said if one had any buckshee kit, not to take it in our kit bags, as they turn out all the chaps kit at Liverpool St station well that is very good advice they will not find any of that sort of thing in my bag but look out for a bag of rubbish when I do land home they will have some turn over in my kit I can tell you I have plenty of old cleaning rags and old bits you know what you grumble at in my kit, they will get a find not half all the same I must send home any Buckshee I may have I am over stocked with socks ......."
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thats brilliant Judith, so nice to keep , wonder what was in his bag ??? I cannot understand how my grandfather got away with so much, he seems to have been home more than away, he went missing a few times and once was found in London, lied about having any relatives on one lot ,and gave a different address from my nans for his money to be sent ,my dad seems to have taken after him too.

Comment

Working...
                  X