Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christina Fitzsimmons born Liverpool 1899ish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christina Fitzsimmons born Liverpool 1899ish.

In a thread earlier today, see "Mrs Birts Party.....of girls"...Elaine and Val found this poor little girl arriving in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada on 12/4/1913. I have tried to discover what happened afterwards without success. Perhaps I'm not used to Canadian Records but she appears to have dropped off the planet. Mrs Birts Party...of girls was a regular 'shipment' for years and the only thing I have discovered is that Christina was sent to a satelite house in Knowlton, Quebec.
    Her sister never saw her again but sister's daughter would like to know.
    Could anyone help to find out what happened to this poor little girl.....please.
    Last edited by AlanC; 23-09-12, 14:31.

Can't find anything in Canada except for the passenger list you already have. However, I have found a christina fitzsimmons marrying a John Oswald Cranfield in Sydney in New South Wales Australia. THis Christina died however in 1926. It's not uncommon for people to be sent to different places so I just wonder if that could be an answer as to why you haven't found anything, that she went/was sent to another country. Am hoping somebody else can come along to prove me wrong though

Hope you find her

Comment

there is another Christina Fitzsimmons born 1902 departing from London going out to Brisbane Australia on the Norseman arriving 27 Feb 1913
      Are you sure the other one is yours ?

Comment

Alan, if she was one of the British Home Children, then do get in touch with George who I mentioned on the other thread - she may well have more information for you.

Also, I don't know whether you are on Facebook but there is a very active Facebook group for British Home Children which might be worth posting on - http://www.facebook.com/groups/60555734110/
        A lot of the members in that group seem to be Canada based so possibly have more resources available to them.

Also register on here - http://www.britishhomechildren.org/ - where there is a database of BHC.
        Elaine

Comment

Could this be her, Alan.....

FITZSIMMONS Christina 1902 Eng Corsican 1913 11 Unclaimed
          Here's the link.....

Jacky

Comment

Thank you all..............those Australian possiblites have confused me somewhat but worthy of investigation.
            Yes Elaine I will contact George and Jacky that is the one, any idea what 'unclaimed' means. Maybe she wasnt 'claimed' on arrival?

Comment

Christina Fitzsimmons ..... West Derby Municipal .... Liverpool ... - I looked from 1887 - 1903 ...she was the only one

www.familysearch has her born 1899 aged 2 as daughter in the 1901 census
              West Derby Western
              St Nathaniels parish Windsor

so - do you have her in 1901 census / 1911 census ??
              allan
              added...the Windsor - I presume is Windsor Street, Toxteth which meets Parliament st

Last edited by garstonite; 24-09-12, 08:30.
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                Could this be her, Alan.....

FITZSIMMONS Christina 1902 Eng Corsican 1913 11 Unclaimed
                Here's the link.....

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....hildren/uf.htm
                Sorry ...didn`t realise .......does this mean Christina was born 1902 ?? .....can only find the 1899 birth on freebmd and lancsbmd ...??
                Last edited by garstonite; 24-09-12, 08:34.
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Good morning Garstonite, in the 1911 Census, this poor young thing is an 'inmate' in some Poor House. You have the correct 1901 Census. She was baptised 26/4/1899 and born same year.

Comment

Hiya Alan ...I see you are online...I am only 5 miles from St Nathaniels area.....if you need a visit to somewhere in the area ...let me know and I can pop up there ...
                    allan

Comment

Cheers Allan, my quest is more about 'What happened next' rather than her miserable life in Liverpool. You've heard the story many times of drunken father spending it all on booze and sod the kids so much so that 2 were put in homes and never seen again by the other child. It's that child's daughter who wants to know.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                        any idea what 'unclaimed' means.
                        Re the term unclaimed - I think what the BHC group are trying to do is to find out more information on these children who were sent to Canada, e.g. their ancestors as well as living descendants. When nothing is known then they are referred to as "unclaimed".

George will tell you all about it!
                        Elaine

Comment

If we are talking about the same girl there is something odd about 1911. Can you confirm that this is her in 1901?

and if so this appears to be her twice in 1911, with family and in an institution!! -
                          http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...1049321&recoff=
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie, the 1901 is correct as is the 1911 Institution. The other one isnt the same family...too many children and father's occupation incorrect.

Comment

I am digging but not finding much. I have put a message in a british home child group that I am an admin on Facebook. We have some great researchers on there. I will keep looking.
                              Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Hi There,

The records for Mrs Birt's Party of Girls are held by Barnados.

According to the Young Immigrants to Canada website other materials maybe held by the Provincial Archives of Nova Scotia, and Quebec. The University of Liverpool Social Works Archives may also hold material.

If you use google.ca and type Mrs Birts Party of Girls it will bring up the Young Immigrant to Canada website.

bcbrit
                                George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I'm really getting upset seeing so many young teenager 'consignments' shipped out on a regular basis into oblivion from my perspective.
                                  I cant see the positive value to the export of youngsters; maybe someone can show me a rainbow!

Comment

There were no Rainbows in The British Home Children Alan, This went on right up until about 1970 with orphans and the not so orphaned being lied to about dead parents who were also told the child had died.
                                    They were sent to Canada, Australia,South Africa all for a better life, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oranges-Suns...ion/055216335X

Margaret Humphreys was a social worker who brought this out into the open and has written many books on this topic

I have found some stories of ships full of children being sunk in bad weather and if you look into it all it is so heartbreaking.
                                    There have been many TV programs on this topic some clips can be found on YouTube

A really shameful occurance

Edna

Comment

Wow, Edna....................forgive my ignorance.............sounds like greedy politicians again.
                                      It's proving very difficult in this search so I may have to abandon it.

Comment

An apology was made a few years ago by the British Government about it and funds made available to find families of those who had been sent abroad.

There is a Liverpool Site which has some newspaper reports of families advertising for family members who had either been sent abroad or had managed to come home looking for their families.

I am surprised you had not heard of all this

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                        X