Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant read census

Hi
    Ive found a 1941 census which my family are on but the copy is bad and cant read it, is there anyway i can order a copy online ..really sorry to keep asking questions but am so new to this.....:(
    thanks
    shirley

Do you mean 1841?
    Can you give the details, either the names/ages or ref. and I'll take a look to see whether the image can be improved.

... and don't worry about asking questions - you will find FTF members are happy to help!
    Elaine

Comment

oh yes Elaine silly me 1841 Matthew Hill b.abt 1806 age 35 in census Staffordshire ref HO 101/987/2

Comment

This is the one I found the details from for you the other day isn't it. I seem to remember Find My Past had a very poor scan, (and had transcribed Matthew as William!) but Ancestry had a slightly clearer scan, though still quite faint. I copied it into a picture prog then played with contrast, brightness etc to read it.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

oh ok Judith thanks again i really sorry to be a pain x

Comment

It's not easy!!
            I've copied the image and darkened it, changed contrast etc., and the best I can come up with is:

Matthew age 35 - I think it says occupation is Labourer, but not sure.
            Margaret age 35
            boy's name which could be Thomas - aged 10
            Robert - age 7
            John - age 3
            Mark - I think it says aged 1 month.

I've checked on Findmypast to see if it's any clearer, but that one is worse than Ancestry ... didn't see Judith's post!
            Elaine

Comment

thanks elaine x

Comment

The third name is Elizabeth, female aged 10 - the others I agree with Elaine.
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Yes, sorry about that - the 3rd name is female!
                  Elaine

Comment

Working...
                  X