Henry's marriages ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry's marriages ....

I've just found differing 2 date entries on Familysearch for the marriage of Henry Emms;

1) 24/09/1843 at Shipham, Norfolk (Phebe Buck)
    2) 19/10/1843 at Carbooke, Norfolk (Phoebe Buck)

Do you think the first one is marriage banns and the second one the actual marriage?

Also trying to find info about Henry's second marriage to Ann(e) Buck in 1878, specifically her father and his occupation.

Any help very much appreciated.
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 23-09-12, 09:59.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Doesn't answer your question but did you know the marriage on October 1843 is on freeReg - shows Shipham as the abode for Henry Emms
    Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.
    Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine .. some useful info - I think the first 'marriage' entry should read marriage banns

just need to ascertain if Henry's second marriage was to Phoebe's sister Ann(e)

Comment

Can't see anything on freeREG for the second marriage, unfortunately.

The 1881 census for Henry Emms & Ann Buck shows mother in law Elizabeth Buck living with them. Does her details fit in with what you know of Phoebe's mother?
        http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...579900&recoff=
        : RG11; Piece: 1975; Folio: 36; Page: 5
        Elaine

Comment

Possible 1841 census for Ann Buck with mother Elizabeth

Class: HO107; Piece: 785; Book: 16; Civil Parish: Carbrooke; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 23; Page: 15; Line: 3

... which seems to fit - father Joshua, occ. wheelwright, as per Phebe's marriage details.
          Elaine

Comment

thanks again Elaine ... confirmation of what I thought ... Phoebe and Ann were sisters.

Comment

I have several instances of a widower marrying the sister of his deceased wife, which was illegal until the early 1900's.

Recently, I read that it was quite common for such marriages to occur "away from the home parish" - the couple then returned home; no questions were asked, life carried on and everyone turned a blind eye to the illegality of the union.
              One of my couples must have moved to the nearest city for a short time, as they married in the registrar's office there, rather than in their local office.
              Another couple married in the parish church of a relative, the relative's address being given as place of residence for both bride & groom.
              Both these marriages were very shortly followed by the birth of a child. In each case, there were children from the first marriage, so wife's sister probably moved in to housekeep and childmind and then took on full wifely duties ;)

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

> Do you think the first one is marriage banns and the second one the actual marriage?

Could very well be. I'm doing some indexing for Family Search at the moment and they seem to have a problem differentiating between banns and marriage, because they've also scanned the banns books (where, sometimes, the helpful vicar has included the date of the marriage as a footnote) as well as the marriage registers. I had one the other day where the banns had been read on three consecutive Sundays, but then the vicar had made a note no marriage had taken place within the time allowed so the banns had expired. I indexed the name details of the couple, but left the marriage date blank. When it came back from arbitration, they'd opted to put in the date of the third reading of the banns as the marriage date. I have challenged it, but don't know whether I'll win on that one.

STG
                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

thanks Jay and STG .. some useful info

Comment

I had one the other day where the banns had been read on three consecutive Sundays, but then the vicar had made a note no marriage had taken place within the time allowed so the banns had expired. I indexed the name details of the couple, but left the marriage date blank. When it came back from arbitration, they'd opted to put in the date of the third reading of the banns as the marriage date. I have challenged it, but don't know whether I'll win on that one.

Oh dear! That's not good is it? Specially when there is a note to say the marriage hadn't taken place. I doesn't give much confidence in the correctness of the records transcribed. One of the parties could have died for all we know!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                    X