Land Tax Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Tax Record

I notice on the Land Tax Records that there are three categories: Land, Personal & Redeemed.

My ancestor's tax falls into the "Redeemed" part of the ledger, usually 4 (pounds? it's on the far left of the column). Also, faintly written, just between his name and the number columns, is a name - is that the landlord?

I found a reference on the web:
    "After 1798 it was possible to avoid further yearly instalments of Land Tax by paying a lump sum. From 1798 therefore the returns tend to become less reliable as registers of local inhabitants as the assessors lost interest in the owners of "redeemed" land"

So was he prepaying in installments? He paid the "redeemed" tax several years in a row. I haven't searched by place yet to determine if someone else moved in, or if the place just disappeared off the rolls.

If he was a tenant, why would he pay the redeemed tax?

And a related question, but different document: when he was living at the company's hall, the company decided that he "be allowed the Property tax in respect of the Salary and Gratuity paid to him" - does that mean they paid his tax for him?

Thanks!

Oh, dear. Usually I go to bed after posing one of these questions, and wake up to answers.

No one has a clue?

Comment

Working...
    X