Charles Bishop (1911) and his interesting family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Bishop (1911) and his interesting family

Charles Bishop was born in 1866 in Northampton. In 1888 he married Sarah Ellen Lishman in Kendal. The connection is that he was in the shoe trade. They had two children Charles Henry (1889) and Ellen (1897). In 1901 Sarah and the children are in Northampton workhouse and Charles sen. is nowhere to be found. Sarah died q4 1901 in Northampton and I had assumed that Charles had predeceased her.

Randomly going through my tree today I had another go at Charles. To my surprise he and daughter Ellen (as Nellie) have popped up in 1911 in Rushden, with a widow Elizabeth Whiting plus her children and a new batch of Bishop children. Charles describes himself as Head and widower. Elizabeth (who seems to have filled in a lot of the names) describes herself as Wife and widow.

Can anyone work out where Charles got to between 1891 and 1911 and how Elizabeth Whiting fits in. Did they marry or are they living together? I assume that the younger Bishop children are theirs, though I haven't yet looked for the births.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
    . I assume that the younger Bishop children are theirs, though I haven't yet looked for the births.
    All four births appear to have been registered as Whiting.

Comment

Thanks for that Susan. I was just going to post the same thing.

Comment

There's a marriage in 1914 between Charles Bishop and Elizabeth Whiting, Wellingbro reg district
        Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie. I wonder why they waited that long. Is Mr Whiting still around?

Comment

By the way, I know that Charles Bishop jun. returned to Kendal and married there.

Comment

Found Sarah and family in 1901. Northampton Road, Earls Barton, ED4, Piece 1438, Folio 59, Page 39.
              She's a widow with William, Herbert and Frank plus 2 other children.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                Found Sarah and family in 1901. Northampton Road, Earls Barton, ED4, Piece 1438, Folio 59, Page 39.
                She's a widow with William, Herbert and Frank plus 2 other children.
                Sarah E in 1901, Elizabeth in 1911 and at marriage in 1914.

This must be her in 1891. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1891&indiv=1
                Last edited by Guest; 21-09-12, 16:23.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                  Sarah E in 1901, Elizabeth in 1911 and at marriage in 1914.

This must be her in 1891. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1891&indiv=1
                  Looks good to me. Thank you for that.

Comment

Have you seen the family trees on Ancestry? Some are very unreliable as for instance they have Charles Bishops bride's (Sarah Elizabeth Norman) death before her 2nd marriage in 1914! From memory they have her dying in 1904 or 1908, anyway before 1911. Her first husband's name differs depending which tree, he's either George William Whiting or George Butlin Whiting, there is a marriage for George Butlin Whiting to Sarah Elizabeth Norman ....... Dec 1887 Northampton, but her husband is entered as William in 1891, of course it's possible that census is the wrong one but it does look probable. More research necessary me thinks!
                    Last edited by Guest; 21-09-12, 23:41.

Comment

As Charles has Nellie/Ellen living with him in 1911 I find it hard to believe he abandoned his family forcing them into the workhouse in 1901; maybe he was institutionalized also, perhaps a Hospital? I did try searching for him by initials only without success.

Comment

I did contact Northampton Archives a couple of years ago. Their records of the Workhouse don't go back far enough. Now that I know Charles was still around after 1891 I've got an incentive to continue looking for him.

Comment

Working...
                        X