Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When and where did William and Annie marry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When and where did William and Annie marry?

In 1891 Wm, 24, is single and living with his mother in Methwold, Norfolk. He's an ag lab.

Wm and Annie's oldest child Abner Spooner, born Methwold, is 8 years old in 1901.
    Abner's birth was registered Q3 1892

On the 1901 and 1911 census Wm's wife Annie is listed born in Woodbridge, Suffolk.

The 1911 census states the marriage has lasted 19 years.

Can anyone please find their marriage which according to the above info was c1891-2.

Thanks
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 22-09-12, 07:11.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

There is a William George H Spooner marrying either Edith Elizabeth Saunders OR Annie Eliza Everett in Henstead, Norfolk reg dist in Dec qtr 1900. Vol 4B p 527.

Could that be them?
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Hi Sue ... thanks for looking for the marriage .......

I'm not aware that Wm had any additional names - will have to check possibilities.

I did wonder if Annie may be his wife's middle name.

However, on 1911 cert is states Wm and Annie married for 19 years, so on that basis they married c1892

Comment

dont know if this is a possibilty
        William Spooner and Ann Strong Dec 1891 East Ward Westmorland 10B 1089

Comment

Hi Val - thanks for looking ... I've just found a possible birth registration and think William may be Thomas William as the birth year and registration place includes Carbrooke.

Although still not found any likely marriage possibilities :(

Comment

do you think maybe they lied about the marriage?

Comment

Abner's birth certificate would give you Annie's maiden name. It's just possible that the marriage may have reached the GRO index under her name but not under William's, or that William's entry has been mistranscribed so is not showing up in a search.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

or they never married. an ancestor of mine gave her 'marriage' details on the 1911. she was a widow, and had never married.

Comment

do you think maybe they lied about the marriage
                  or they never married
                  I did wonder if this might be the case or Annie, like William, was known by their middle name.

Abner's birth certificate would give you Annie's maiden name.
                  I thought about this last night .... seem to have done a lot of 'wondering' yesterday ;) .. Although it looks likely that Abner's BC might be the only way of solving this mystery.

Thanks for your thoughts.
                  Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 22-09-12, 07:09.

Comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned this yesterday but I was busy and had to log off straight afterwards. I also found that birth and believed he may have been Thomas William. I then crossed checked for marriages but the only vaguely possible was in a very unlikely area I seem to remember. I had to stop then.

This morning I have tried everything I can think of. I have found what I think is possibly Thomas Williams death in June 1947 Wayland aged 80. I can't find a death for 'Annie' that shouts at me though. They don't seem averse to using second names though as 13 year old Alice in 1911 appears to have been named Eva Alive M Spooner in Sept 1897 Thetford. William was William Thomas (b March 1894) which would make 'your' William very likely to be the Thomas William birth we both found independantly. Hilda May and Abner Adair are listed with their first names, as was William. I do wonder for some reason whether Annie was actually older than she say in 1911. I don't know why I'm wondering this.

I've come to the conclusion that you defnitely need one of the childrens birth cert before you can go any further.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

hi Chrissie .. it sounds like we've been going down the same track and reaching the same conclusions. Thanks for looking, it's beneficial to have other people's reasoning.

Comment

what about Thomas Spooner marrying a Ann E Anderson in Dec 1911 Mitford Norfolk 4B 757?? maybe they married late??

Comment

thanks Val ... maybe the 1911 census 'prompted' them to marry

hopefully Abners BC will provide Annie's surname

Comment

do let us know wont you

Comment

Working...
                            X