Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mystery

Where could Thomas Tubridy be buried?

My Great-Granddad was born on 9th April 1901 in Killard, Clare, Ireland and died on 1st September 1984 (exactly 1 year before his great grandson was born :D) in York, Yorkshire, England but when I contacted York Cemetery I was told that they only had a register of 2 Tubridy's being buried within the whole of York and they were 2 of his wives so where on earth is he? Ancestry, York BDM and FMP all say that he's buried in York.

Could it actually have meant a cremation though? It's been puzzling me for 2 weeks now..
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
    Ancestry, York BDM and FMP all say that he's buried in York.
    Are you looking at the death registration index on these sites - all that tells you is that his death was registered in the York registration district, which will cover quite an area, not just the town of York. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you where he was buried or cremated.
    Elaine

Comment

This link shows the area that the York registration district covered - Table 1B from 1974
      Elaine

Comment

You could try the local paper for around the date he died. There might be a death notice which gives details of his funeral.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

oops feel ever so embarrassed now..

Comment

Ooh, no need to be embarrassed!
            Goodness me, you've only been at this for less than a month and you've picked up so much in that short time.
            One thing we always say is that there is no such thing as a "stupid question" - in other words don't be afraid to ask or make a comment. It's how we all learnt!
            Elaine

Comment

The only reason I have so much is because I've been rather lucky in finding people like I got that Chapman tree I showed you! I knew Nanna's details, her parents etc and once I'd added that in I got a direct tree for Thomas with all 4 of his wives, children, parents, grandparents and great- grandparents. I also knew half of the history anyway so it helped to confirm that the tree was correct.

Comment

you may be right about cremation. i asked suffolk if they could tell me where my great grandfather was buried. they came back with nothing, so i mentioned to his daughter, my gran. she said he would have been cremated, so i wrote suffolk back and asked to check the cremation records. woila. but they were very unhelpful.

darlington on the other hand, checks burials and cremations before getting back to you.

i'd say, get the cert, so you have the date of death and an address, then email york council with the information and see what they say.

Comment

Where could Thomas Tubridy be buried?

Could it actually have meant a cremation though? It's been puzzling me for 2 weeks now..
                  I wonder if he was cremated - if so you could contact the crematorium which should have a register of cremations.
                  Below is a link to the York site. As you have an exact date it should be fairly easy to establish if he was or wasn't cremated.
                  Perhaps a quick phone call will solve the mystery.
                  Good luck.

herky
                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I googled and found this. Is this your family?
                    Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!
                    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thanks for that, I'll email and see what they day :D

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
                        I googled and found this. Is this your family?
                        http://boards.tiscali.ancestry.co.uk...idy/52/mb.ashx
                        I'm not sure, there's an error.

Comment

I'm not sure, there's an error.
                          The link doesn't work for me either.
                          herky
                          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Maybe it is only available to Ancestry subscribers.

Basically it is from someone calling themselves 'Pedro' (Stephen) Tubridy in Scotland.

I'll try to precis it for you. Back in a bit.
                            Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 19-09-12, 15:48.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

It was posted in February 2001 so I'm not sure the email address still works. I'll PM it to you Lennon.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Oh that! Yeah it's my family :D

Comment

OK I won't bother trying to precis it for you then if you know what it says already :D LOL

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

He's also one of us Tubridy's :D

Comment

Wow! I wish they would do a WDYTYA on my Tivers family. Then I might find out where my GGGG grandfather was really born! :D

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I've never seen it what with been in the North East of England but I'd love to..

Comment

Working...
                                        X