Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to find any info on an ancestor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to find any info on an ancestor...

... called Michael George or George Michael Snozwell/Snoswell after the 1881 census. On the 71 and 81 he was living with his parents and siblings but I am unable to find a death or marriage for him. I am not sure if I am missing something but have tried many different spellings and combo's but without any luck! I am wondering if anyone has a spare 10 mins someone would have a quick look too, just to make sure I am not missing something obvious. I have checked on Ancestry tree's and am in contact with two of them but they have no further info. either. He was born in 1868 in Shaw (cum-Donnington), Berkshire to an Edward and Emily Snozwell.
    Thank you in advance for your time

Tessie

That looks like a name ripe for mistranscription*! Have you tried looking for him with lots of info but excluding the surname?

*Capital-S gets mixed up with lots of other letters: T, L... And "Sn" might look like "H", say.
    Lower-case "z" gets mistaken for other letters with a drop-stroke, such as "g", "j" and "y". If there's another name directly beneath, then the tail can get missed altogether, and the ketter gets read as something more like "x", say.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-09-12, 20:30.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have looked and found the family in later census, but no George is with them.. seems odd though that there isnt much about him, I can't even find a birth/bapt record :conf:
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I see that in 1871, the surname shows up in the image as SNOSELL.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I tried using "Sno*ll" in Ancestry, and that shows just what mistranscriptions can turn up - even assuming that the first letters are correct!

Christine

Comment

The only birth I can find is under Michael George Harris in the same quarter as Edward Snoswell and Emily Harris marriage. Was he born before the marriage and could he have gone back to using the name Harris do you think?
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 18-09-12, 20:52.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks all for looking and suggesting Chrissie, I am off to look for him as a Harris

Comment

The only one of the children whose birth's seem to have been recorded under the right surname is Jane!! Maybe they have all been mistranscribed?

Comment

Well so far I have only found Charles Eli registered as Snosell!!

Comment

Working...
                  X