Who were George Rowe's parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who were George Rowe's parents?

One of my GGG grandfathers was George Rowe (sometimes spelt Roe) born about 1798 in Stockbridge, Hampshire. I cannot find his baptism online. I know not many Hampshire records are online though.

There are a few families named Rowe in Stockbridge, in fact George is my 3x G grandfather on my maternal grandmother's side and my 3 x G grandfather on my maternal grandfather's side was Charles Rowe born 1802 in Stockbridge - no connection found yet though.

I have George's marriage on 15 Feb 1827 in Faccombe, Hampshire, his children's baptisms and all censuses and his death on 6 December 1872 in Stockbridge. I also have details of his will.

Just can't find his birth or baptism.

Can anyone help find his parents please?
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Hi Sue,

is this the George that marries Mary? and is on 41/51/61 census in Stockbridge?

1841?

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

just parking this here incase it is relevant (Mary Ann Rowes Probate)

Julie

Comment

you might want to add a correction for them in 1871..

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
        Julie

Comment

Yes Julie. Sorry I should have put his wife's name on my post.

1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1851&indiv=1

1861 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8860

1871 - can't find the reference at the moment, but the family were still Grocers/Bakers and still in High Street, Stockbridge.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            you might want to add a correction for them in 1871..

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8767
            Yes I will do. I've never noticed that before, maybe I got the 1871 details from FMP.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

you could try emailing here and asking them if they have anything

The page you are looking for doesn't exist or has been moved.
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
                Yes I will do. I've never noticed that before, maybe I got the 1871 details from FMP.
                I only found it cos I looked on Familysearch... :smilee:
                Julie

Comment

I suspect you have seen this too?

I know I'm not being much help, but, I know what its like to have some people that just don't want their parentage known...lol
                  Julie

Comment

From having abit of a look around it would seem that the church probably used for his Baptism would be 'Old St Peters' church on the High street, as St Peters [new church, High Street] was founded in 1866.
                    Julie

Comment

am all out of ideas short of emailing the CRO and asking them/or looking to see if they have bapts for OSP there. [not unless a Local library has them on microfiche?]
                      Julie

Comment

On Hampshire Baptism disc there is no George Rowe/Roe born in Stockbridge between 1752 and 1812. However John and Sarah Roe in Stockbridge were having children over that time period -Harriet 1795, Edward 1797, Charles 1802, Goddard 1804, Charlotte 1805, and Maria 1810. William and Sarah started having children in 1804. Also checked for a George Rowe/Roe between 1793 -1803 in all of Hampshire - George Roe 14/9/1800 in Hambledon, parents George and Ann and George Roe 5/9/1802 in Houghton to Joseph and Lucy.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Just noticed you said that Charles b.1802 is also one of yours - do you want more details on John and Sarah
                        Last edited by ozgirl; 18-09-12, 12:00. Reason: Added
                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Been doing a little more digging. Houghton is just outside Stockbridge, and Joseph Roe was a brother of John Roe in Stockbridge so that George is looking a bit more likely, even though the age is a little out. Joseph and Lucy Tonge married 10/4/1800 in Stockbridge and also had 3 daughters Mary 27/12/1800, Sarah Jane 20/11/1808 and Betsy 21/10/1810
                          Linda

Comment

Just sneaking in here for 2 secs ;) Will be back later.

Thanks for the suggestions Julie, will check them out.

Linda
                            Thank you for that info. I'll digest it later and will come back to ask for more info.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Linda

I was looking at George's children's names to see if there was any connection to the Joseph & Lucy you found with a son George. One of his sons was given the 2nd name of Joseph, but none of his daughters had the name Lucy as far as I know.

It would make sense that Charles Rowe's father and George Rowe's father were brothers though.

I have John Ro(w)e marrying Sarah Cooper in Houghton on 7 April 1796 , so it is certainly possible that George's parents lived there too.

Would it be possible to look for the parents of John & Joseph please?
                              Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 18-09-12, 18:51.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Hi Sue,

Been doing more checks - getting a bit complicated here.

John Roe b.14 july 1763, and Joseph b.25 july 1761 were the sons of John and Catherine nee Goddard. John and Catherine were married in Stockbridge on 18 may 1761.

There were also 2 John Roes born in Houghton at about the same time - one in 1764 to Joseph and Martha, and one in 1776 to John and Elizabeth. I think it is quite likely that one of these 2 married Sarah Cooper in 1796. Your John and Sarah had their first child in 1795, and as one of their children was christened Goddard, it seems likely that Catherine Goddard was your Johns mother. There is a marriage between John Roe and Sarah Inward on 1 dec 1794 in Stockbridge that is a definite possibility, within time for Harriets baptism on 19 april 1795.

I do think it quite likely that the Roes in Houghton are a branch of this family.
                                Last edited by ozgirl; 19-09-12, 08:14.
                                Linda

Comment

Thank you so much for all that info Linda. It's looking like John Roe & Catherine Goddard were my 5 x G grandparents on both my maternal grandmother's and my maternal grandfather's side.

Now how do I put that in my Family Tree Maker programme LOL

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Let me know if you want any more info on any of the lines mentioned here and I'll have a look on my discs.
                                    Linda

Comment

Working...
                                    X