Need help to find John Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help to find John Mills

John Mills appears on the 1881 census living in Salford with my great grandparents John and Maria Mills, he is described as a son age 8 years born Liverpool. If his age is correct this means he was born 4 years before my gt grandparents married.

He appears again in the 1891 census in Salford with John Mills and Catherine Deakin (Maria's mother - Maria has died by now) again he is described as son age 19 years born Liverpool.

He then disappears, can anyone find him after this date and his birth, I have sent off for several possible birth certs but none are right

Anne

if he was born in Liverpool I can only find 3 Births registered there about the right time
    Mar 1871 8B 11
    Dec 1872 8B 160
    Jun 1873 8B 162
    not having much luck finding him in the census records but could he have been in the army ?

Comment

have you checked out ancestry? they have liverpool records.

Comment

Could he have been born to Maria before marriage ? There is a birth in Liverpool in Dec 1871 of a John Buckley Deakin ref 8b 162.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

good thinking Chrissie

Comment

have you checked the lancashire bmd site, a lot of lancs records did not make it to the GRO. and have you looked for a birth under deakin? if that's maria's maiden name?

Comment

Sorry, it looks as though the John Buckley Deakin died in 1877 in Northwich aged 5
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I don't think John Mills (snr) was married before he married Maria, the reason for this is he converted to Catholism to marry her in Salford Cathedral he was baptised there three days before he married her, surely he wouldn't go through all that if he had married her sooner?

I have checked the Liverpool records on Ancestry to no avail.

I don't think John is Maria's son as she is living in Salford on the 1871 census with her mother and brothers, a few years ago I check to see if Maria was his mother but couldn't find any link. He may not be either's child, I guess he could be a relation of John's who he has taken in and accepted as his own. So frustrating.

Thanks for everyone's help

Anne

Comment

Working...
                X