Help needed to find Joseph Avil on the 1841 and 1851 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to find Joseph Avil on the 1841 and 1851 census

I think Joseph Avil was the illegitimate son of my 3 X great Grandmother. He was born in 1823 and baptised, Braithwell, Rotherham (the record is on ancestry). He married( I think in 1852) and I can track him through the census returns on 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 - he died in Rotherham 1893. However, I can not find him in 1841 and 1851. Please be aware that there are many variants on Avil - Aville, Avile, Haverill, Averille. I suspect that his name is badly transcribed.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Sandra

Can you give us the name of Joseph's mother. Have you found her in 1841/1851?
    Elaine

Comment

Is this the 1871 census

- which gives place of birth as Wickersley

1841 census for Wickersley shows a Joseph Cwik

If you look at the image looks like Joseph Avril

A possible! ??
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, Joseph's mother was Ann Aville. She married Benjamin Rodgers in 1825 and I do have Ann and Benjamin on the 1841 and 1851 census with their children but Joseph is not with them.

Sandra

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Thank you.

I think You may have found him on the 1841 census. Please tell me how?

Sandra
          Last edited by Sherbertrose; 17-09-12, 10:16.

Comment

All I did was put Joseph in the first name box & Wickersley in the keyword search box - with birth year of 1823 +/- 5 year - then looked at the results.

Only 7 results - and Cwik looked like an odd surname so checked the image!
            Elaine

Comment

I am fairly certain that it is correct. He is with his step sister Mary Rodgers. His Mother and step father were also living in Wickersley in 1841.

Any sightings of him in 1851?

Sandra

Comment

Can't see him yet in 1851.
                Where did he marry and where was he in 1861?
                Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

He married in Rotherham - not sure where. I thought I had him in 1861 but I cant find him myself!!

Sandra

Comment

is this him in 1861 - transcribed as Arill ?
                    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
                    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Yes, that's him.

Sandra
                      Last edited by Sherbertrose; 17-09-12, 10:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                        Hi Elaine, Joseph's mother was Ann Aville. She married Benjamin Rodgers in 1825 and I do have Ann and Benjamin on the 1841 and 1851 census with their children but Joseph is not with them.

Sandra
                        Do you have the 1851 census for Benjamin and Ann?

I am coming up with this -
                        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

- which includes a Joseph of about the right age?
                        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

It looks like Joseph was under my nose all along. The census is correct. So now I am sure that Joseph was Ann's illegitimate son - I was fairly certain before as all the Avills in Wickersley (and surrounding area) are all part of the same family.

Sandra
                          Last edited by Sherbertrose; 17-09-12, 11:07.

Comment

Sometimes the way Sandra, we miss the obvious first time round!
                            Think it must be him, can't see any alternative for him.
                            Elaine

Comment

closer scrutiny of the 1851 census you found identifies a grandson William Henry Rodgers (born 1846) . I am now trying to work out who he belongs to. A family tree on ancestry has his father as Joseph Rodgers which as we have just established is incorrect. I am now wondering if he is the illegitimate son of Mary who we found on the 1841 Census. Benjamin and Ann had a few children but probably only the eldest two were old enough to be his parent. Thomas married in 1858 and I don't think he was been previously married. This leaves Mary. She married in 1848 and on the 1851 census was living with her husband in Nottinghamshire.

Sandra

Comment

You may find this site useful (eventually):

But it currently states:
                                Please note not all of our records have been indexed and marriage records are only available from 1992 to 2006
                                Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

I won't hold my breath. I work for Rotherham council and with continuing cutbacks and staff doing twice as much in half as much time I don't see it happening in a hurry. Rotherham Archives closed at the end of march so that it could relocate. It was supposed to be closed for four months. It is still closed with no sign of it opening.

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                                    Hi Christine,

I won't hold my breath. I work for Rotherham council and with continuing cutbacks and staff doing twice as much in half as much time I don't see it happening in a hurry. Rotherham Archives closed at the end of march so that it could relocate. It was supposed to be closed for four months. It is still closed with no sign of it opening.

Sandra
                                    They don't say who's providing the transcribed database. In many similar sites the transcriptions are prepared by members of the local FHS, so it doesn't cost the local council anything more than the time to upload the data that's provided.

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                    X