US marriage research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US marriage research

Anyone know where to find marriages in US ? I have worldwide Ancestry subscription but marriages don't get returned in my searches.
    I'm looking for the marriage of Jack Allen Jarman to Frances G Goldsmith (or Street -she was a widow and Street was her maiden name.) Her 1st husband died in 1942 and she married my grandmother's cousin Jack some time after that. He lived in Boston Massachusets and he died there in 1974 aged 82.

Would be grateful for any tips and thanks for looking

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

BMD records in the USA are dealt with state by state so can be difficult to find. Coverage and availablity on-line varies widely. Ancestry has some, but I can't see your marriage on there.

There are other US records for Jack Allen Jarman - according to the US Social Security index he died on 22nd May 1975, and his dob was 22nd July 1892. There are also Canadian WW1 Attestation papers and a WW2 Draft Registration card from 1942.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 16-09-12, 11:33.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for that Anthony. Yes I'd already found those records and quite a few entries in directories- he had a car repair business.

I'll keep looking

Liz

Comment

There are a couple of immigration records which show up in transcription format in FamilySearch. One is for Jack Allen JARMAN, 24 May 1918, arriving Niagara Falls, NY, aged 23, b London, England [Manifests of Passengers Arriving in the St. Albans, VT, District through Canadian Pacific and Atlantic Ports, 1895-1954; NARA ref M1464 roll no. 351]

Oddly, there's someone with the same name on 4 May 1918, aged 43, b London, with an arrival contact "Child Fallon", [Manifests of Alien Arrivals at Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Rochester, New York, 1902-1954; Nara ref M1480, roll no. 61]

It's worth noting that a 2 and a 4 can look quite similar in handwriting - or even print, if it's blurred - so it might be the same man. Worth a look at the immigration records on Ancestry just to rule him out? If you end up ruling him in, it should have info about his appearance, and may have info about his marital status.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've noticed once or twice the same names coming up a few days apart, as the different authorities were recording different parts of the whole overall event.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thanks Christine and uncle john

I'll check those alien arrivals on Ancestry.

Liz

yes both are my man.The person he intends to join is I think G A Fallon. The writing is dreadful so I'm sure both ages should be 25. His widowed mother Anne Jarman had emigrated with him in 1907 but in 1918 she is staying with my great grandparents in Congleton. She is my gt grandfather's sister. I suppose the Fallon person could just be the name of the owner of a boarding house?

Interesting to see on his record card there is added his request to bring in his married sister Dorothy Roberts in 1947.

Thankyu for your help

Liz
            Last edited by congletonian; 16-09-12, 17:27.

Comment

Have you found them both in 1940? Your best bet may be a newspaper announcement in the area that she lived in.

Comment

no I can't find them on the 1940 census. Found Jack(John) on the 1910 also his mother Annie but both lodging in different houses. Suppose this was normal although they'd been in us since 1907 . Thought they might be settled somewhere ?

Liz

Comment

I should have said that I found those records using FamilySearch.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Liz, I can see not being able to locate him in one census, but he's missing in three! With Canadian attestation papers, and border crossing activities in it seems feasible he lived elsewhere for a while, and came back in time to marry her.

Canadian attestation papers are available on Ancestry, and the service record is available from the Canadian govt. I haven't looked at his border crossing, but they often list place of residence.

What's Frances' DOB?

sarah

Comment

Border crossings often record useful relationships and intended destinations.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Sarah
                        Frances' DOB is 17/9/1898. I've found Jack's attestation papers,that's how I knew his mother was staying with my gt grandparents as she is his next of kin. He gives his present address(1917) as 19 cumberland st Boston Massachusetts.On the border crossing in 1918 he gives his last residence as Hamilton Canada and the final destination as Boston Massachusetts. Again he says his mother is in Congleton with my gt grandparents ! Shall I try the canadian censuses I wonder?

You're right uncle John you do get quite a bit of info on the various records.
                        Liz

Comment

I had a quick look here: http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html
                          but couldn't spot anything. I was not being flexible about anything, so you might have more success, yourself.

Christine

Comment

Canadian census is only thru 1911, except some western provinces in 1915(6?). So he could be there later but the census(es) aren't available. Will be able to play more with it in a couple of days.

You could try googling Boston City Directories. If there are any online, you could check to see if he's listed.
                            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 17-09-12, 21:57.

Comment

Thankyou Christine and Sarah. I shall do look ups on those.

Liz

Comment

Liz, I've been trying to find Frances in the 1940 without success - but maybe that's not really the point, since you asked for the marriage info?

Will look around for Boston newspapers...

Ancestry has Boston Globe announcements. My Ancestry sub is not active.

Problem: Boston is a big place. It would be helpful to locate them in the 1940, and then search for a small community newspaper for the time period.

What was Frances' husband's name, was she born in England? I tried searching 1940 for all Goldsmiths born in her birth year range, living in Boston, as well as all Frances Goldsmiths living in Boston in 1940. No-go. Have you found her?
                                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-09-12, 05:58.

Comment

Hi Sarah
                                  thanks for helping;
                                  I found a Frances G Street married to Earle Brandon Goldsmith(1896-1942). They are on the 1930 census at Winchester Mass He is 32 and she 31. They have children Earle B age 7,Geraldine age 5,Laurence S age 2 1/2. My Frances was born 17/9/1898 in Canada I think.As Earle senior died in 1942 I assume if this is my Frances she must have married Jack Allen Jarman after 1942.

I still haven't found them so far in 1940 but I'm still looking !

Thanks again for your help

Liz

Comment

Same family in 1940
                                    Family Search
                                    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Ancestry
                                    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
                                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine
                                      yes that's them. I had forgotten familysearch had the us censuses too. I'll persevere looking for the marriage of Frances to Jack Allen Jarman. I was interested to see on the 1910 and 20 censuses Frances G Street (her unmarried name) is living with her father Gerald and stepmother Emma - I presume she was given the middle name Geraldine after her father. She must have married Earl between 1920 and about 1932 ish and Jack Allen after Earl's death in 1942.

I'm grateful for your help

Liz

Comment

There appears to have been at least one local paper (Winchester Star) during your time period. The Winchester public library seems to have copies:

You can try contacting the library and ask if they would do lookups for you. Or post on Ancestry's message boards (or rootsweb, etc) and ask if someone will do the lookup.

Also, it could be online. will nose around a bit more.

---> there's a website, but it doesn't go back past 1972 (yet)

So, by the 1940s, BMD records should be complete. You can look for the county clerk of Middlesex, Massachusetts, and see if you qualify to look up the info, and what they'll charge you. Many places in the US are using a commercial database company to handle requests as well.

---> Here's the county vital records link. I think you'll need to go thru VitalChek, the third party that handles requests for the records. The link to them is also on this page:
                                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 21-09-12, 05:39.

Comment

Working...
                                        X