compton, somerset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compton, somerset

i have esther palmer in wick, somerset in 1851. address caple's row. her birthplace is compton, somerset. she died 1854, so i can't check her birthplace elsewhere.

where is/was compton? if that's even correct?

Can't see her - can you give a census reference or link?
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Can't see her - can you give a census reference or link?
      Looks like she has been transcribed as Nester Pulmer

Moggie

Comment

Hi Kyle, you have a choice of five,
        Compton Bishop..... near Weston Super Mare
        Compton Dando..... near Bath
        Compton Dundon... near Street
        Compton Martin..... on the A 368 between Weston & Bath, closer to Weston
        Compton Pauncefoot.... on the A 303 near Wincanton.

Sorry I'm not able to get to the RO for you.
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

elaine, fmp has her as 'hester' i think.

5 viv? how do i know which one? freereg does not have anything for her.

Comment

Thanks Moggie!
            Elaine

Comment

Do you know Esther's maiden name?
              Elaine

Comment

Looks like she was married to a Joseph Palmer & they had 5 sons baptised at Week St Lawrence between 1828 & 1835. Can't see a marriage for them yet.
                Moggie

Comment

Is that the same family Moggie - 1851 census shows her as being born c1775?
                  Elaine

Comment

Actually, Wick St Lawrence, Moggie!

From a distance I don't know Kyle, that's why I'm sorry I'm not up to getting to the RO, could probably work it out if I could see all the parishes.
                    Any clues from other family members, which ones they are closest to?

Comment

her maiden name was esther caple, she married in 1799 to john palmer. that joseph is her son. not all her children seem to have been baptised, jacob, with her in the census wasn't. and she had a son isaac that wasn't too.

i think since there are many small parishes in somerset, she is likely to come from the compton closest to wick, or congresbury.

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                        Looks like she was married to a Joseph Palmer & they had 5 sons baptised at Week St Lawrence between 1828 & 1835. Can't see a marriage for them yet.
                        Moggie
                        There is a marriage in 1826 for a Hester Hancock to Joseph Palmer - in St. Saviour Puxton - but unless this is a second marriage for Hester then it seems a bit late.
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          her maiden name was esther caple, she married in 1799 to john palmer. that joseph is her son. not all her children seem to have been baptised, jacob, with her in the census wasn't. and she had a son isaac that wasn't too.

i think since there are many small parishes in somerset, she is likely to come from the compton closest to wick, or congresbury.
                          Think that would put her at either Compton Bishop or Compton Martin then.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            her maiden name was esther caple, she married in 1799 to john palmer.
                            Marriage on freeREG - married in Winscome - says "of this parish". Have you checked Winscome?

Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.
                            Elaine

Comment

Marriage on freeREG - married in Winscome - says "of this parish". Have you checked Winscome?

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Sear...cordID=1302150
                              Winscombe is very close to Compton Bishop.

Comment

Is that the same family Moggie - 1851 census shows her as being born c1775?
                                That can't be right can it Elaine? She would be well past 50 when the first one was born!
                                Must be a later generation.
                                Moggie

Comment

compton bishop seems likely then?

moggie, the esther hancock marrying joseph palmer is esther's daughter in law....

Comment

Working...
                                  X