Windows update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows update

I have selected to be advised when Windows Updates are available rather than Automatic. The reason is that I often do not put my PC on until about 9.30pm or like tonight 10.30pm and if the Auto starts it is often two hours to update. I cannot go to bed and leave it to sort itself overnight as one needs to click this and that at times.

I wonder just what an update is and why it is so large. (It is quicker to install a new program) I have rarely updated my PC which is now five years old, due to this time factor and the present one waiting to update my PC says minimum two hours then it will need to configure the PC.

On the rare occassions that I have stayed up until 2.30am to download these updates I find at the end that they have failed. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

I'm no expert on this Margaret but I have always been advised to accept Windows Updates.
    They are there for a purpose and will include security updates/patches which should help to keep your computer stable.
    The updates usually install themselves in the background whilst I am still working, occasionally they install when I close down but only take a couple of minutes to do so. Some require the computer to reboot, but you are usually warned about that so you don't get closed down whilst you are in the middle of something!
    Elaine

Comment

It is taking so long because you haven't updated it recently. A Service Pack update will be large as it is a bundle of about 200 individual updates.

You should always update your PC as they contain security updates and patches.

My updates are downloaded while I am using the PC and only install when I shut down. They don't take long to do this.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank you ladies for your advice. I will have to try and remember to switch on early evening and get upto date. But like Val I gave up on it as so many failed and I had stayed up half the night to complete the project.

Cheers,
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

most of the time Margaret mine work okay just now and then there is a problem. I still cannot update the latest ones?

Comment

I have updated my windows by leaving it on automatic updates. Tuesday evening it told me that SP2 had failed. I did it again Wednesday and it said it was completed.

Tonight I switch on and find that I windows IE9 installed and it is this sort of thing that annoys me. Is it possible to change this back to IE 8?

Meanwhile I think I will go back to the old days of updating if I think of it. I do not want to spend hours sorting the PC out everynight when I only put it on for two to three hours a day.
            Margaret N

Comment

Margaret if you just uninstall IE9 it should leave you with IE8

Comment

Thank you Val, having had no choice but to use IE9 tonight I will give it a try.

That 'Strickly Come Dancing' season is almost upon us!
                Margaret N

Comment

yes and I cant wait can you ?

Comment

Working...
                  X