Possible spelling mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible spelling mistake?

So I've been searching for my great grandfather and in the UK census I have him coming form Llanthirstour, Glamorgan, Wales however when I go to Google the place it doesn't exist. Is it possible that there's a spelling mistake and that it was meant to have been Llansannor? It's the only name that I can match it to..
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Presume you are referring to the 1891 census for Evan Thomas, born c1833 Llanthirstour, Glamorgan - according to Ancestry website.

It's the only person in the whole of the census shown as being born there so no doubt is an error. However, it may not be a spelling mistake as such, it is more that the enumerator was not familiar with the place and wrote down what he thought it should be. You really have to see how it might have been prounounced and then see if you can match up something to it!

What does he give as his place of birth in other census years?
    Elaine

Comment

That's the correct man and he does give his birth year as 1833, he's also in the "Another bind" thread about a possible change of birth year as one of them does say 1841 which is a little closer to his wife's birth..

Comment

Have you found him in any other census, if so what does he give as place of birth. I can see the 1881 census, but that just says Wales so not very helpful!
        Elaine

Comment

1870- the first child is born in stockton-on-tees so where's the mysterious census?

1891- the last known census, the wrong address.
          1881- no birth address but the current living one is round the corner from the cemetery that his wife and possibly he is in.
          1901- he's now dead and 2 of the children are still living with his wife.
          1911- one child and 1 grandchild are still living with his wife.
          1925-his wife has died and is in the cemetery.

Comment

If that's his death in Stockton March 1895 his age is only given as 53.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Exactly, it doesn't match the year of birth but one of the entries is for 1841..

Comment

Do you have a marriage for Ewan and Mary?

I wonder if this is Ewan in 1871 - transcribed on Ancestry as:
                Evan Thomas born c1834, S.Wales, Santrissant
                Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

RG10; Piece: 4903; Folio: 118; Page: 22

Living in the same household is a Mary Chaperon (which has been corrected to Chapman) together with two children Jacob and Alfred - these names tie in with the 1881 census.

Interestingly, if it is the right census you will see that the name Chaperon has been corrected to Chapman - if you click on that correction you can see who has submitted the correction. Generally (although not always) this indicates that the person who has submitted the correction is following the same family - so always worth contacting them to see if they have any other info or whether you are both going down the same lines.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Evan Thomas born c1834, S.Wales, Santrissant

Closest I can find to that is Llantrisant,
                  Elaine

Comment

I did indeed have a marriage but it's not the right one. I accidently had a 1919 entry and I haven't been able to find another one. WOW at that entry! I have her maiden name as being Jones and if those really are Evan's children then it certainly runs in the family! His own daughter had 10/11 but only 5 lived past 3 years old.

Comment

If that 1871 is correct for Evan - then I wonder if this is him in 1861 (in Wales)

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

- the coincidence is the children in this census, Evan aged 4 and William aged 2, which match the children with Evan in 1871.

All a bit hypothetical so needs to be checked out - and I have no idea if the place names mentioned in both censuses are near each other - but it gives you something to work on and I would certainly contact the person who submitted the error correction (if you think the 1871 census is your Evan).
                      Elaine

Comment

Umm, if those are correct, quite a change of occupation between the 1861 and 1871 census. Going from a farmer of 100 acres to a Furnaceman .... not so sure now!
                        Elaine

Comment

I think it could be him Elaine. I've been searching through the 'correctors' details and he has been searching for the surname Rees which coincidently matches Evan's first wife's name.

Comment

Well it looks like I won't be able to contact him unless I can find one of his trees on Mundia. I thought credits would let me but obviously not..

Comment

Do you have an Ancestry subscription Lennon?
                              Elaine

Comment

He has has three public trees on Ancestry but I have had a look and none of them contain the names Thomas or Chapman. He may have just come across the mistranscription and submitted a correction, without it being one of his ancestors.
                                Elaine

Comment

Not a full one, I'm just using credits when there's an important doc that I wish to attach to someone. I was waiting until my phone contract ended but now I'm not so sure..

Comment

I have been contacted quite a few times from people assuming that I was a member of the same family, but have done loads of corrections while searching for others. Once though it was quite soon after my correction and I could remember who it was for. So I informed them and they contacted him. You never know

Comment

Jackpot!! I've added the others into my tree on a short term basis and I've got tree hints for Evan's children so I'm going to see the information, contact them etc and see where I go from there. I can easily delete them if it's the wrong family, afterall Evan Thomas, Glamorgan and Mary are very, very popular names within trees.

Comment

I don't know if this is any help but I THINK the Matilda L Thomas listed as daughter in law in 1881 aged 20 and born in Stockton was Matilda Louisa Hunt who married Evan's son Jacob Thomas in June 1890 Middlesbro' (now covering Stockton) 9d 886. There is a birth that fits Matilda Louisa Hunt in Stockton Sept 1870 10a 102.

Sorry - ignore that - I now realise that Jacob was a Chapman.
                                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 13-09-12, 18:28.

Comment

Working...
                                        X